IMG_5364.jpg

Redshirt sophomore Ian Parker wrestles freshman Dylan Gregerson during the Iowa State vs Utah Valley dual meet Feb. 3 in Hilton Coliseum. Parker won by fall at 6 minuets and 29 seconds and the Cyclones defeated the Wolverines 53-0.

It was a late one for Cyclone fans, but those who stayed up witnessed another strong performance from Iowa State.

The Cyclones (10-2, 6-1 Big 12) edged out the Beavers (4-7, 0-1 Pac-12) by a score of 23-14.

The West Coast action began at 125-pounds. Iowa State's Alex Mackall kept the match close, but he lost 9-5.

At 133, Austin Gomez picked up the first Cyclone win with a third-period pin. The Beavers followed with a win at 141, knocking off Ian Parker, 9-4, and tying the dual at six.

Next, Jarrett Degen grinded out a win at 149, winning 11-7 and giving Iowa State a 9-6 lead.

IMG_4965.jpg

Utah Valley redshirt freshman Spencer Heywood gets a stall warning while wrestling redshirt junior Chase Straw during the first match of the Iowa State vs Utah Valley dual meet Feb. 3 in Hilton Coliseum. Straw won by major decision 4-0 and the Cyclones defeated the Wolverines 53-0.

In the final match before intermission, 157-pounder Chase Straw added an 8-3 win to extend Iowa State's lead to 12-6. 

After the break, 165-pounder Logan Schumacher tacked on another win for Iowa State in a 6-4 win in sudden victory.

At 174, the Beavers got a win over Marcus Coleman via a 12-6 decision to trim the Cyclone lead to 15-9.

Oregon native Sam Colbray picked up a win for Iowa State at 184 in a 13-4 major decision.

With a 19-9 lead, Willie Miklus put four more points on the board for Iowa State with an 11-1 major decision.

To close the dual, heavyweight Ethan Andersen lost by a 23-8 technical fall.