2019VBMEDIADAY: Herrera

Candelaria Herrera played for the Argentinian national team last summer and started at middle blocker for the team. Herrera played in 18 games and Argentina captured the bronze medal at the Pan-American Games.

Iowa State junior middle blocker Candelaria Herrera has earned many accolades including 2019 All-Big 12 and All-Midwest region honors. Now she's a part of a team that has qualified for the 2020 Olympics. 

Herrera is a member of the Argentinian womens volleyball national team. On Thursday, the Argentinian national team defeated the Colombian Women's National Team, 3-1, to qualify for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

To qualify for the Olympics, Herrera and company had to win the South American Volleyball Championship—sweeping both Peru and Venezuela and beating Colombia in the championship match 3-1 to qualify.

The Argentinian women's volleyball team had only quailified for the Olympics once before. 

According to a press release, Herrera will stay in Ames for school and spring volleyball until the summer begins. Then she'll head to Argentina for the process of making the team.

The women's volleyball tournament at the Olypmics begins on July 26 in Tokyo.