IMG_2241.jpg

The Iowa State Softball team huddles at the end of the top of seventh inning during their lose to #15 Texas Tech.  Iowa State lost to Texas Tech 8-4 on Mar. 31, dropping their record to 18-15 overall and 1-5 in Big 12 play. 

To kick off the Gamecock Invitational in Columbia, South Carolina, the Cyclones went head to head against Elon, crushing the Phoenixes 10-0, ending the game early in the fifth inning. 

IMG_1325.jpg

Players clap while the starting lineups are announced before the start of the Iowa State vs. University of South Dakota softball game held at the Cyclone Sports Complex on April 2, 2019. The Cyclones had three home run hits and defeated the Coyotes 9-1.

Within the five innings, Cyclones were able to get on base and score every inning against Elon. Playing as a team, they were able to advance women on base, earning runs each inning. 

Janessa Jasso performed near perfect on the mound, letting up one hit and seven strikeouts against Elon, clinching the shutout for the Cyclones.

The Phoenixes made many defensive errors during the game, allowing Iowa State to take advantage of those opportunities. Sami Williams started her team off strong, sliding one passed first base and making her way to second base after a fielding error by Elon, putting the Cyclones on the board early. 

In the second inning, the Cyclones pulled ahead 7-0 with runs earned from Simpson, Williams, Carli Spelhaug, Carter and Schaben. 

To close out the game in the top of the 5th, after giving the Phoenixes a chance to come back, Ranches and Schaben both scored, putting the Cyclones ahead 10-0.

The Cyclones will face No. 8 Michigan Saturday morning in hopes to find another win in this weekend in Columbia.