IowavsAkron05.JPG

Members of the Iowa State football team offensive line attempt to take down Brock Boxen of University of Akron (from the Mid-American Conference) during their game at Jack Trice Stadium on Sept. 22, 2018. The Cyclones won 26-13.

According to The Stadium's Brett McMurphy, the Mid-American Conference (MAC) is set the first NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conference to cancel its college football season.

The MAC will try to play football in the spring according to McMurphy.

Iowa State was scheduled to play the Ball State Cardinals from the MAC on Sept. 12. 

Saturday's news comes a day after the Missouri Valley Football Conference (MVFC) announced its football season is being moved to the spring. 

The news also comes after the FCS Playoffs were being postponed to the spring. 

Iowa State was scheduled to play the South Dakota Coyotes, a member of the MVFC on Sept. 5.

Iowa State and the rest of the Big 12 Conference (who are on the FBS level) are planning on playing football in the fall, playing nine conference games one non-conference game.

With South Dakota, Ball State and UNLV (as well as previously scheduled Iowa), not playing their non-conference schedules, Iowa State is now left with no non-conference opponents in the 2020 football season.