Jason Gomez Iowa State Classic

Jason Gomez runs in the 2021 Iowa State Classic on Friday in Lied Recreation Athletic Center. 

After day one of the Iowa State Classic on Friday, there are a number of personal records for the Cyclones in a variety of events. 

Sophomore transfer Jason Gomez once again stole the headlines for Iowa State. Gomez competed in the 1,000-meter run and finished with a time of 2:19.11. 

With this time, Gomez now holds the fastest time in the 1,000-meter run in Iowa State history. In addition, Gomez is now No. 3 all time in collegiate history. 

However, Festus Lagat would go on to win the 1,000-meter run with a time of 2:18.98. Lagat, running unattached, broke the meet record set back in 2016. 

Senior Vlad Pavlenko also had an outstanding performance competing unattached for the Cyclones. 

The two-time All-American set a new personal best in the weight throw by over a foot. Pavlenko's best throw of the day was marked at 73-4.5.

Finally, for the women, senior Abby Caldwell set a new personal record running unattached for Iowa State. Caldwell finished ninth overall in the race with a time of 16:23.93.