jacobson layup

Senior forward Michael Jacobson shoots a contested layup during Iowa State’s 110-74 victory over the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils at Hilton Coliseum on Nov. 5.

Mens basketball

Prentiss Nixon drives towards the basket during the Iowa State basketball game against UMKC on Dec. 4th.

Iowa State defeated the University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC) on Wednesday 79-61 despite giving up multiple big runs thanks to a dominating last few minutes of play.

UMKC hung with the Cyclones all through the first half — even taking the lead for a bit — but the Cyclones played well in the final few minutes to take the lead back and go into the intermission with a 37-31 cushion.

In the first half, senior forward Michael Jacobson and sophomore guard Tyrese Halliburton combined for a large portion of the teams scoring with the former going for 15 points on 6-6 shooting.

The second half was much like the first. Iowa State was up early but midway through the period, UMKC cut the lead down with a small run in which the Cyclone offense seemed to lose its touch.

Iowa State jumped out of it again though and found themselves with a win that wasn't indicative of the flow of the game.

Jacobson, Rasir Bolton and Halliburton led all scorers with 19 points on 8-9 shooting for Jacobson and 7-12 shooting for Haliburton. Bolton shot 4-8 from the floor, but had 19 points stemming from a 10-11 day from the Charity stripe. All 19 of Bolton's points came in the second half

The Cyclones face a rematch with No. 16 Seton Hall on Sunday at 8 p.m.