ISU golf club vies for national title

David Stein fires a shot. The ISU men’s golf club is headed to the National Collegiate Club Golf Association national championship.

The Iowa State men's golf team ended round one on top by a large margin in Bluffton, South Carolina. After competing in the last several tournaments against top teams in the nation, Iowa State now has the chance to display that high level of play at the Colleton River Collegiate.

The Cyclones share the top spot with Michigan State, Miami University and Rutgers. Iowa State shot eight over par after the first round, and the second round was suspended due to darkness.

Iowa State has been greatly represented on the individual leaderboard. Freshman Lachlan Barker finished round one tied for 19th place, shooting two over par with a score of 75. Sophomore Sam Vincent is in front of Barker after shooting a 72. Vincent is currently tied in fifth.

Shortly behind the two underclassmen are Tripp Kinney and Denzel Ieremia.

With round two being suspended, the Cyclones will continue to rally today. Round three will start immediately following the second round on Tuesday.