Wesley Kiptoo NCAA track and field championships

Iowa State's Wesley Kiptoo runs in during the Division I Men’s and Women’s Indoor Track & Field Championship on March 12 in Fayetteville, Arkansas. (Photo by Andy Hancock/NCAA Photos via Getty Images)

In its first large meet of the outdoor season, the Cyclones took home multiple victories and had strong performances all across the board.

Veteran Kevin Sakson posts another solid outing, taking home first place in the men's discus. He would win the event with a best throw of 51.35 meters. 

Redshirt freshman Jonathon Gannon would also compete in the men's discus, finishing fourth with a best throw of 46.70 meters. 

In the women's javelin, senior Bailey Righi would throw a personal best of 44.56 meters en route to finishing first overall. 

In the men's 1,500-meter run, Head Coach Martin Smith would have four Iowa State runners in the top-seven. Leading the group was sophomore Nehemia Too, finishing second with a time of 3:48.04. 

Finally, in the men's 800-meter run, Iowa State would go 1, 2 with David Thompson taking home first place followed by Joe Schaefer.