Jayna Misra Northern Iowa 2020 swim and dive

Iowa State junior Jayna Misra dives in the Cyclones' meet against Northern Iowa on Jan. 30. (Photo courtesy of Iowa State Athletics Communications)

Another day at the Mizzou Invite for Iowa State diving, another top ten finish for senior team captain Michelle Schlossmacher Smith. 

In Thursday's session, Iowa State divers participated in the 1-meter diving event against the highly competitive field. Schlossmacher Smith took home seventh place for Iowa State.

After reaching the finals with a 242.95 score in the preliminaries, Schlossmacher Smith captured a top ten finish for the second straight night. Her six dives in the finals scored her 237.70 points. Wednesday evening, Schlossmacher Smith took fifth in the 3-meter dive.

Aranza Vazquez of North Carolina took the win in the 1-meter by a wide 31.7 point margin. 

Joscelyn Buss impressed again but missed the finals in the 1-meter. Buss placed 17th after scoring 218.35 points in the preliminary round. Freshman Lauren Kimball placed 20th in Thursday's competition after scoring 211.40 points. Jessica Coffin rounded out the Cyclone competitors with a 154.45 point performance. 

Friday, Iowa State will tackle the platform dive event. Iowa State has not had an opportunity in the platform dive at any of its dual meets. Friday will be the first opportunity for the Cyclones to showcase their talent in that event. Preliminaries will start at noon with the finals scheduled for 7 p.m. 

Also on Friday, the Iowa State swimmers will begin competition at the Kansas Classic.