Steve Prohm vs Baylor 2020

Iowa State Head Coach Steve Prohm talks to the Cyclones during a timeout against then-No. 2 Baylor on Jan. 2 at Hilton Coliseum.

After Iowa State finished the 2020-21 season with just two wins and no conference wins, Head Coach Steve Prohm and Iowa State have parted ways, according to a release from Iowa State Athletics on Monday.

"Iowa State and men's basketball coach Steve Prohm have agreed to part ways," a statement from Iowa State Athletics said. "Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard met Prohm in person Monday night. Pollard will have additional comment Tuesday."

The news comes after the season ended for Prohm and the Cyclones on Wednesday in a 79-73 loss to Oklahoma in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament. It was the 19th conference game lost in the season and it capped off the least successful year of Prohm's six-year tenure.

"Prohm compiled a 97-95 record in six seasons with the Cyclones, but his 2020-21 club was 2-22 overall," Iowa State Athletics said in the statement. "Prohm led Iowa State to three NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament berths and two Big 12 Tournament Championships in his tenure."

Iowa State will now start its search for a new head coach as the program will try to get back in the NCAA Tournament.

"Pollard, who is serving on the NCAA Men's Basketball Committee, will begin the search for a replacement immediately," the statement from Iowa State Athletics said.

Prohm filled the place of former Iowa State Head Coach Fred Hoiberg in 2015 with Hoiberg finding a coaching job in the NBA.

Prohm's years at Iowa State were up and down, with his last season in the NCAA Tournament coming in the 2018-19 season. The Cyclones also won the Big 12 Tournament that season.