_MG_0230.jpg

Quarterback Jacob Park (left) and wide receiver Allen Lazard talk on the sideline on Saturday at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City.

Fast. 

That's the one word every Iowa State (1-3, 0-1 Big 12) player uses to describe Baylor on both sides of the ball. And these players aren't lying. 

No. 13 Baylor (4-0, 1-0 Big 12) is ranked eighth in the country for total offense with 2,195 total yards, 21 offensive touchdowns and an average of 548.8 yards per game. That attack is led by quarterback Seth Russell, who can pass and run when needed. He also ranks 16th in the nation in total passing yards, amassing 1,148.

"Baylor is probably one of the fastest teams we will face this season," said wide receiver Allen Lazard. "[Baylor] puts points on the board and we just need to be ready for a shootout on Saturday."

FB 9-24 010.jpg

Defensive back Jomal Wiltz tackles San Jose State running back Zamore Zigler during his team's game against San Jose State on Sept. 24. Iowa State defeated San Jose State by a score of 44-10.

The Baylor offense has outscored its first four opponents 168-54, and it all comes down to how fast the team's tempo is compared to most schools in the country. The Bears play an offense where they tend to not substitute players in and out — they just keep pushing. 

The Iowa State defense will have a challenge this upcoming weekend, but many of the veterans are prepared and know the characteristics of Baylor. 

"I know our defense is strict on affecting the quarterback and I think we need to start there first," said defensive back Jomal Wiltz. "I think it'll be a big impact if we can disrupt [Seth Russell] in the passing and running game."

Along with the fast offense, Baylor continues that fast pace on the defensive side as it is ranked No. 21 for total defense in the country. They've allowed 1,240 total yards, six touchdowns and 310 yards per game. 

This dominance to start the season has vaulted Baylor to the top of the Big 12. After the early-season struggles from Oklahoma, the Bears could be atop the discussion as the Big 12's favorite to make the College Football Playoff. 

ISU vs UNI 9/3/2016

Redshirt junior Joel Lanning drops back to pass during a football game against Northern Iowa Sept. 3 in Jack Trice Stadium. The Cyclones would go into halftime trailing 15-13.

The defense has allowed an average of 13.5 points per game in the first four games because of its explosion off of the ball and constant speed. 

Iowa State quarterback Joel Lanning and running back Mike Warren have personally pointed out Baylor linebacker Taylor Young as a leader on the Bears' defense. Young had 80 total tackles and four sacks in the 2015 regular season. 

FB 9-24 016.jpg

Running back Mike Warren dives into the end zone during the second quarter of his team's game against San Jose State on Sept. 24. Iowa State defeated San Jose State by a score of 44-10. Warren finished the game with 171 total yards and one touchdown.

"The linebackers flow well, safeties, corners, defensive line, they all are fast and have motors," Warren said. "The Baylor defense is sound, they rarely mess up, so we need to utilize everyone for this game."

The Iowa State offense needs to use all of its weapons with the dual-quarterback system in Jacob Park and Lanning, an effective running game with Warren and multiple targets down the field with their five main wide receivers. 

Lanning said he knows the Baylor defense will be doble team Lazard most of the game, which means receivers Dondre Daley, Hakeem Butler, Trever Ryen and Deshaunte Jones need to step up. 

Last weekend against San Jose State, the five wide receivers had a total of 13 receptions for 204 yards and all five of the receiving touchdowns. 

"We'll have to have a strong game plan coming into this game," said coach Matt Campbell. "Baylor will be one of the toughest teams we face this season."