Mike Rose Louisiana

Iowa State linebacker Mike Rose tackles Louisiana running back Chris Smith during the first half Sept. 12.

Iowa State kicked its season off against the University of Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns on Saturday. The Cyclones lost to the Ragin’ Cajuns 31-14.

Both teams experienced slow starts, with the first score of the game coming from an Iowa State one-yard touchdown run from redshirt senior running back Kene Nwangwu with 4:28 left in the second quarter.

Louisiana’s Chris Smith responded quickly with a 94-yard kick return touchdown following the Nwangwu touchdown.

The Cyclones regained the lead from an 11-yard rushing touchdown from sophomore running back Breece Hall.

The Ragin’ Cajuns kicked a field goal going into half to cut the Cyclones lead down to 14-10.

Louisiana took control in the second half of the game starting with Levi Lewis connecting with Peter LeBlanc for a 78-yard touchdown, giving the Ragin’ Cajuns their first lead of the game.

Louisiana’s special teams struck again with Eric Garror returning an Iowa State punt 83 yards for a touchdown.

Trey Ragas sealed the victory for Louisiana with a two yard rushing touchdown with 10 seconds left in the game.