Brock Purdy and Charlie Kolar 2018

Then-freshman quarterback Brock Purdy and then-redshirt freshman Charlie Kolar celebrate after Purdy ran the ball for a touchdown during the first half of the Iowa State vs. Baylor football game Nov. 10, 2018.

The Iowa State quarterback and tight end duo, preparing for one of the most anticipated Iowa State seasons in recent memory, have two more awards to add to their names. Brock Purdy and Charlie Kolar, respectively, were named Academic All-Americans earlier this week. The All-Americans were selected by the College Sports Information Directors for their their hard work in the classroom. 

Kolar has been widely regarded as one of the best tight ends in all of college football, graduating with a mechanical engineering degree this past fall. Kolar finished his academic studies with a GPA of 3.99, earning the first team Academic All-American in back-to-back years.

Purdy has been Iowa State’s signal-caller for nearly three years, and the business major has had an unbelievable run as quarterback for Iowa State. Purdy holds 25 school records as quarterback for the Cyclones, with more in reach this coming season. Purdy's 3.66 GPA earned him second team Academic All-American. 

The awards continue to file in for the Iowa State football team, which earned a 9-3 record, a Big 12 Championship game berth and a Fiesta Bowl win, along with numerous individual awards on both sides of the ball as well as in the classroom. The Cyclone football team will look to continue its hard work and earn results heading into the 2021 season.