Gentil and Roshon after the 600.JPG

Senior Roshon Roomes (right) and sophomore Cebastian Gentil (left) lean on each other after finishing first and second respectively in the men's 600-yard run at the 2020 Big 12 Indoor Track and Field Championships. Roomes also won the men's 800-meter run.

In a press release issued Friday evening, Big 12 Senior Associate Commissioner Bob Burda announced that all spring sports will be canceled for the remainder of the academic year.

The announcement comes one day after the NCAA and the Big 12 conference announced that all postseason tournaments will be canceled due to the continued spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus in the United States.

In the statement, Burda said that "team and individual practices, meetings and other organized gatherings" will not be allowed to take place until after March 29.

This announcement effectively cancels Iowa State's men's golf, women's golf, softball, track and field, gymnastics and tennis respective seasons.

This article will be updated as more information is released.