Trump

Olivia Rasmussen thinks it’s ironic that the protesters who want total control of their rights and freewill during this pandemic are the same people who demand the rights and freewill of others to cease to exist if it inconveniences them in some alleged way.

The last couple of weeks have consisted of Donald Trump supporters stomping the streets, falsely believing their rights are being stripped from them while gripping signs and guns. President Trump has been calling for his supporters to “LIBERATE” while spewing the fake narrative that their constitutional rights are under attack.

Signs that read “my body, my choice” or a variation of that have been captured during these protests. The idiocy of believing it is a choice whether or not a literal virus infects a person is beyond comprehension, but what makes this laughably ironic is the fact that when other laws infringing on the rights of a woman’s choice to decide what happens with her body is present, “my body, my choice” melts away into a screeching chorus of anti-choice conservatives.

When the government is infringing on the rights of same-sex couples wanting to adopt the children “pro-life” propagandists ignore once they are born into actual existence are denied the right to do so based on flimsy religious veils, it is apparently justifiable and befittingly controlled.

When brown and black people are arrested, they “should have been following the rules,” but the moment unfavorable rules fall upon the protestor’s doorstep, they have the freedom to rebel and disobey? They link in their rebellion with the First Amendment but demand silence when unarmed black men are begging police officers not to shoot. Black and Latino communities are being hit with waves of increasing devastation more so than other communities due to socioeconomic issues, but if they started (rightfully) storming the streets, demanding that their government do more to help them, how do you think the pro-Trump protestors would react?

“The face mask you’re wearing symbolizes you losing your freedom of speech,” was written on a truck partaking in a protest. Clearly, the lockdown protestors still have their freedom of speech by writing absurdities freely on their vehicles and whining in the streets.

Pitiful signs about wanting a haircut or to go golfing during a literal pandemic signifies that these protestors do not want to go back to work — they want others to risk their lives for their negligible desires. We are all tired of the virus, we are all being affected financially, emotionally, physically and so on. While those protestors put themselves and others at risk because they erroneously believe their rights are under attack, they are only making this worse and prolonging the road to recovery as a nation.

It is obvious that these protestors pick and choose who gets to express their freedom of speech and choice. Disenfranchised communities are often silenced and are expected to follow every single rule and stipulation even if it is unjust, yet armed white men and women ride on their privilege to protest and rebel against their leaders during a pandemic with no consequence or backlash. The protestors do not believe in science or what medical professionals are telling them, just like Trump.

This should enrage you — these protestors are bringing their children and their elderly to these rallies, potentially infecting and killing those around them, and for what? The states and government are enforcing shelter-in-place policies and temporary closures for everyone's safety.

This is a particularly stupid editorial from the Daily, which specializes in stupid editorials.

The coronavirus is not much more deadly than the flu which afflicts us every year. The recovery rate from the coronavirus is nearly 100%. If you are a kid under 18, the chances of you dying from the coronavirus is nearly zero. If you are an adult, 18 to 45 yoa, you have the same chance of dying of coronavirus as you do of dying in a plane crash. For middle aged people, crossing the street is more dangerous. However, if you are older than 70 and sick, your fatality rate skyrockets to 80 times the normal population. Old sick people should be quarantined, not the healthy majority of the population. And, really, you quarantine sick people, not healthy people. That’s where the government botched things, cratering the economy. Whenever the government does something big and stupid and destructive, you can be sure that ignorant liberals will be cheering it on.

Among the people who test positive for coronavirus, half display no symptoms. Most of the other half display mild symptoms that require no medical care other than what you can do yourself. In other words, most people who catch the coronavirus, generate the antibodies to suppress it. The more people mingle, the more they contract the coronavirus, and the more they develop the antibodies to defeat it. This is how herd immunity protects the general population and blocks the pathways to the vulnerable minority.

The stupid quarantine, the stupid social distancing, the stupid face masks and the stupid liberals who loudly defend all this stupidity are ignorant as snails about the science of herd immunity. This quarantine and everything that goes with it makes the population sicker by isolating them. Opening up America would develop the herd immunity that would make us healthier.

You don’t have to take my word for it. Norway and Sweden border each other and have similar populations. Norway went into quarantine while Sweden did not. They both have similar rates of fatalities.

So, not only do the quarantine protesters have the Constitution on their side, but the science as well. It always amuses me to hear scientifically illiterate liberals claim science is on their side when they don’t know jack about science. They fallaciously appeal to the authority of science while remaining unable to rationally make the scientific argument to back their case.

Black and brown people are arrested more often because they perpetrate crimes more often, mostly against black and brown people. For example, blacks account for 13% of the population, but over half the homicides, 90% of them against other blacks. In white Nebraska, 90% of its homicides are perpetrated by one black neighborhood in north Omaha. The gun homicide rate in America is about 5 per 100,000. In one black neighborhood in St Louis, the gun homicide rate is 295 per 100K, nearly 60 times the average. How far down in the sand must liberals bury their heads to be ignorant of these facts? The giant racist fraud that liberals perpetrate on America is to pass the buck for black dysfunction, dishonestly blaming it all on white racism.

The cops are not shooting black men willy nilly as the lying liberals claim. Seventy percent of all black men shot dead by the police prompted their deaths by opening fire on the police. Many of the remaining unarmed blacks shot dead prompted their deaths by attacking the police. For example, if a black man tries to ram a cop and gets shot for his trouble, liberals call that an unarmed black man shot by cops. Other doomed black men attack the cops with whatever is at hand, the cops own equipment, or fists and feet. The liberals claim all such aggressors are innocent unarmed black men shot dead for fun by cops. What a despicable lie.

Three years ago, a car full of black thugs shot into a crowd of students at Campustown. They were stopped only by two white policemen who fired back, defending the students and wounding the criminals. The editors of the Iowa State Daily had nothing but criticism for the heroic cops who put their lives on the line. They had not one whit of criticism for the black criminals who shot the students. This crazy racist liberal bias actually gives black criminals a pass even when they try to kill Iowa State students.

By ram, I mean ram a car into a cop.

Courtney Schill

It's particularly frustrating to hear people spout off ridiculous statistic comparisons like "you're more likely to die in a plane crash than die from COVID-19", which does not all accurately represent the situation. Plane crashes, car accidents, vending machines falling over; these are all everyday accidents that happen when you go about life as usual. Our current epidemic should not be compared to everyday accidents, because this is not an everyday occurrence. Sure, fatality rates are relatively low right now when compared to other causes of death, but that is due largely in part to the current quarantine and social distancing measures that are in place. Can you imagine how high these numbers might be if we all tried to go about our daily lives? I guess we'll get a taste of it when these protesters inevitably start showing symptoms.

Think along the lines of the 1918 influenza outbreak, which is truly the only modern comparison we can make to our current situation. Poor quarantine measures, awfully under-prepared healthcare systems, and no treatment options to boot. Sounds pretty familiar, don't you think? Global infection rates topped 500 MILLION people (1/3 of the world population at the time) over the course of two years, 50 million of which would die from influenza. The U.S. itself saw 675,000 influenza-related deaths from 1918-1919. Already, our country has more than a million confirmed cases, and the national death rate is at nearly 57,000. The first confirmed case of COVID-19 in the U.S. happened only 3 months ago, and I shudder to consider what level of carnage we're about to see.

Quarantine and social distancing are not a liberal plot to destroy capitalism or whatever it is that people think is going on. It's a social responsibility that we have to keep one another safe. There is no cure yet, there is no vaccine. All we have is the kindness of our neighbors to remain at home and try our best to not spread the virus. Most of us will get through this by whatever means necessary, but it should be the utmost priority that we help as many as possible get through this together. Although these times seem tough and uncertain and downright unfair, please keep in mind that it's not about you, it's about the community you live in. If you're the patriotic sort, think of quarantine as serving your country, and our country is only as strong as our weakest members.

Unfortunately, this pandemic will not be over soon, even in the best-case scenario. We're going to see a lot of changes economically, politically, and socially, but this is not necessarily a bad thing so long as we maintain our social responsibilities to each other. Remember, the 1918 epidemic came in three waves.

Courtney,

I disagree. We don’t need to imagine how high infection rates would be without social distancing and quarantine when we have the example of Sweden. Perhaps you missed it in my original comment. Let me repeat it for you: Sweden and Norway are neighbors with similar populations. Norway locked down, like we did. Sweden did not. They both have similar infection and death rates, which proves such social distancing and quarantine ineffective for the entire population.

The reason why they are ineffective is that the coronavirus is not a very deadly virus. 99.7% of the people infected with it, recover. The bulk of those who recover are the healthy majority of the population. Quarantine them or not, they do not die in either case. However, quarantining the healthy majority stops the population from developing herd immunity, which is the best course of action to defend public health.

Half of the people who die of coronavirus live in nursing homes. They should be quarantined along with people in bad health who suffer from peculiar afflictions which make them vulnerable to coronavirus. Coronavirus does not kill healthy people but does kill people who have multiple health problems which bring them to the brink of death. In their case, coronavirus is the last insult which pushes them over the brink.

Comparing deaths from coronavirus to deaths from plane crashes does neatly illustrate how remote the possibility is for healthy adults to die from this virus. You don’t present any reasonable objection to it, only that you don’t like it. That’s not persuasive at all.

Ryan Dennis

At this writing, (May 15th) Sweden has reported 3,460 deaths. That’s 343 deaths per million people, one of the highest mortality rates from COVID-19 in the world.

The number is particularly grim compared to Sweden’s neighbors. Norway has suffered 229 deaths, or 42 per million people; Finland 284, or 51 per million; Denmark 533, or 92 per million. Viewed another way, Sweden’s death rates from COVID-19 are 816 percent those of Norway, 672 percent those of Finland and 372 percent those of Denmark. If Sweden’s death rate were the same as Norway’s, thousands more Swedes would be alive today.

I guess hindsight really is 20/20.

Ryan Dennis

At this writing, Sweden has reported 3,460 deaths. That’s 343 deaths per million people, one of the highest mortality rates from COVID-19 in the world.

David Jackson

“what makes this laughably ironic is the fact that when other laws infringing on the rights of a woman’s choice to decide what happens with her body is present, “my body, my choice” melts away into a screeching chorus of anti-choice conservatives.”

-Olivia Rasmussen

No, what makes this laughably ironic is the fact that even now you fail to comprehend the fact that phrase was chosen due to the idiocy of its use by feminists and the radical left. The idiocy of believing it is a choice whether or not you can kill another person, your own child, for the convenience of not having to raise them is beyond comprehension.

“When the government is infringing on the rights of same-sex couples wanting to adopt the children…”

-Olivia Rasmussen

Nobody has a “right” to adopt a child, adoption is a privilege for solid family units. A child however should have a right to both a mother and a father.

“They link in their rebellion with the First Amendment but demand silence when unarmed black men are begging police officers not to shoot.”

-Olivia Rasmussen

Wow, no but typical leftist strawman. Most of those people have a serious problem anytime anyone is shot by the police while begging them not to shoot, and unlike you regardless of their skin color. When they don’t it’s when the “unarmed” individual was beating the sh*t out of the cop and was shot before the cop lost consciousness and thus control of their own weapon like any good cop would need to do.

“While those protestors put themselves and others at risk because they erroneously believe their rights are under attack”

-Olivia Rasmussen

Really? How much risk? It’s almost like you could quantify it or something and then decide what level of risk is acceptable vs not instead of regurgitate zero sum political mantras.

“It is obvious that these protestors pick and choose who gets to express their freedom of speech and choice.”

-Olivia Rasmussen

Lol, right, that’s why they limited who showed up to only people just like them. No “diversity” in the crowds at all or anything anywhere!

“The states and government are enforcing shelter-in-place policies and temporary closures for everyone's safety.”

-Olivia Rasmussen

What? There’s the Federal Government, State Governments, and Local Governments….not the states and government…that should have been covered in high school civics.

Every crime against their people every tyrant has ever done throughout history has been in the name of “everyone’s safety” for God’s sake. You really think they’re going to walk up to podium and tell everyone that regardless of the social distance of being on a boat hundreds of yards from other human beings you don’t live with they’re closing the beach and the lake at the State Park because they’re a petty bully and they enjoy the power trip?

Just how much would you give up as long as someone told you it was for your own safety Olivia Rasmussen?

I'm sure glad Steve Gregg has the energy to post here as often as he does to point out the continuous ridiculousness that can be found on the Daily. It's only continued to go downhill over the years.

Ryan Dennis

From a recent news report on May 15th:

"At this writing, Sweden has reported 3,460 deaths. That’s 343 deaths per million people, one of the highest mortality rates from COVID-19 in the world.

The number is particularly grim compared to Sweden’s neighbors. Norway has suffered 229 deaths, or 42 per million people; Finland 284, or 51 per million; Denmark 533, or 92 per million. Viewed another way, Sweden’s death rates from COVID-19 are 816 percent those of Norway, 672 percent those of Finland and 372 percent those of Denmark. If Sweden’s death rate were the same as Norway’s, thousands more Swedes would be alive today."