ben & jerrys van unsplash.jpg

Columnist Megan Ziemann describes corporate social responsibility through the lens of ice cream magnate Ben & Jerry's.

This summer, we’ve been active. We’ve been protesting, sharing links, donating money and amplifying marginalized voices with the hope our small efforts will make a large difference. We know what we can do individually, but that’s not enough.

In a capitalist society, change has to come from corporations as well. And while that may seem impossible at face value, a growing trend in business is here to prove our initial thoughts wrong.

Corporate social responsibility (CSR) is a business model that requires a company to keep itself accountable with regard to itself, its stakeholders and the environment. A company that uses CSR does not operate solely for profit. Instead, it recognizes its impact in the community and aims to meet a “triple bottom line” (i.e. improving the lives of its employees and customers as well as bettering the environment). 

Companies who use CSR are growing. They have the respect of their community. They make sure their operations are sustainable. They keep ethics at the core of their business.

Because CSR works.

In my opinion, CSR is best explained through example. And if I can make ice cream an example, I’m going to do it. 

Ben & Jerry’s was founded in 1978 in Vermont by the appropriately named Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. According to their website (and the aisles of my local grocery store), they offer classic ice cream flavors like chocolate, coffee and cookie dough as well as more intense mixes — my personal favorites. In addition to regular ice cream, the company features frozen yogurt and nondairy lines of unique flavors. 

The company isn’t only about ice cream, however. Founders Cohen and Greenfield are committed to social and environmental justice and work with nonprofits like the NAACP and Greenpeace in their own unique way — by releasing themed ice cream flavors that donate to important causes like racial and environmental justice. 

Cohen and Greenfield sold the company to Unilever in 2000, but current CEO Matthew McCarthy shares the same drive as the founders and pledges to continue their forward-thinking ideology.

My first memory of Ben & Jerry’s CSR efforts was in middle school. While researching for a social studies project about the Amazon rainforest, I stumbled across 'Rainforest Crunch,' an ice cream flavor first put on shelves in 1988 that brought attention and money to saving the Amazon rainforest. 

Since 1988, Ben & Jerry’s has released a large number of social and environmental justice-focused ice creams. 'Save Our Swirled' in 2015 urged customers to join the Global Climate Movement to combat climate change. 'Home Sweet Honeycomb' in 2017 raised money and community support for the International Rescue Committee, bringing attention to the plight of refugees all over the world. Most recently, 'Justice ReMix’d' supports the Advancement Project National Office and is dedicated to criminal justice reform, especially for Black individuals. 

This year, Cohen and Greenfield found themselves in headlines once again, two decades after they stepped away from the company. On June 2, the company issued a statement over Twitter and on their website in support of the Black Lives Matter movement. The statement included four demands with a push to Congress to pass H.R. 40, a bill dedicated to studying and understanding the years of systemic racism Black folk have experienced in the United States. 

Ben & Jerry’s gives me hope it is possible to change the system within the confines of capitalism. This company is proof corporations and social justice can mix, albeit with a little difficulty. Large corporations like Unilever were never made to support social and environmental justice. 

The existence and success of Ben & Jerry’s should show us it is possible, and more companies should step up.

On the topic of success, as of 2019, Ben & Jerry’s is the top-selling ice cream brand in the United States with roughly $681 million in sales, $100 million more than the next top seller. Even after its sale to industry giant Unilever, sales growth continued and advocacy growth followed suit, according to Christopher Marquis, professor at Cornell University and author of "Better Business," a book on reforming capitalism through B Corporations. 

CSR does not hurt a company. In fact, it does the opposite. Companies that value customers as more than just a source of revenue do better in the long run. 

The customer is the most important thing to a company, whether they use CSR or not. That’s us. We as customers have the power to impact corporations by developing wise purchasing choices. The next time you need clothing, technology or even ice cream — evaluate where you’re putting your money. 

Voting with your dollar is real. What we buy can change the world.

But don’t take it from me. Head over to your local frozen food section and taste it for yourself.

Megan Ziemann profile pic

Megan Ziemann is a senior in marketing. 

Social justice is evil because it judges people by their gender, race, and ethnicity rather than individual merit. It finds you guilty or innocent based on your political identity rather than your own actions. It believes your rights should be based on your political identity. When you go down that road, you inevitably give some groups of people more rights than others. That plants your foot firmly on the slippery slope to the Nazi Nuremberg Laws, where some groups of people are the super-humans and others are the sub- humans. That’s evil.

The only true rights are individual rights. As Martin Luther King said, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." In other words, black lives don’t matter, but the content of their individual character does. The proponents of social justice, by contrast, oppose MLK’s dream. They demand that people be judged by the color of their skin, not their character.

Not only is social justice immoral according to MLK, it’s unconstitutional, according to the Bill of Rights, which states the rights of individuals, not groups. Social justice is racist, rotten, and wrong. Moral people who support the Bill of Rights should oppose social justice.

It’s insane to demand that a company not operate for profit. Companies that do not operate at a profit, run at a loss until they go bankrupt and cease to exist. Socialist demands that companies run on politics rather than profit are made by lefty idiots who have never run anything in their lives but their mouths and don’t know how reality works. They demand that companies run like welfare agencies, giving away free stuff to people they like. You should never let socialist idiots run anything, not even the coffee maker.

Profit is the best measure of a company’s positive impact on the community, its customers, and its employees. Your customers vote for you and against your competitors with every dollar they spend on your product. Every time they buy your product, they are voting for your product as the best use of their money, that it serves them better than any other thing they could buy. You serve your community with every product sold to your customers. And, certainly, your employees benefit by offering a product your customers want because it keeps them employed. Everything else is nonsense, particularly the desire of loony lefties to hijack your company to promote their wacky, loser politics.

Capitalism makes money. Socialism loses money. If socialism made money, it would not need to hijack capitalist companies and markets to subsidize their losing ideology. Socialism can not exist without subsidies from capitalist markets, voluntary and involuntary. In short, people buy capitalism. They don’t buy socialism.

Recent history shows that when a company turns left, it suffers. When the NFL’s players took a knee for the criminals Trayvon Martin and Michael Wood, their audience departed. When Nike featured Colin Kaepernick in its ads, its sales plummeted. When Gillette broadcast a man-bashing commercial, its sales went into freefall. When they turned the Ghostbusters franchise into a feminist polemic, the movie struggled to break even. When you go woke, you go broke.

The irony of this editorial is that a supposed member of the press which supposedly professes to produce an unbiased product is openly advocating for companies to promote lefty politics. After all, the media has broken left long ago, so of course they want other industries to break left with them.

But take a look at what breaking left has done to the media. Nobody trusts them anymore. Their credibility is far below that of the medical profession and the military, down at the level of used car salesmen. Newspapers are dying in large part because they sell an inferior product tainted with bias. Journalists of every kind are being steadily laid off because everyday people can blog and produce a more trustworthy product than the so-called professionals. What other industry do you see where the professionals are out-performed by the amateurs?

Think about it. Do you know the politics of the most successful companies? What politics does Toyota profess? Drawing a blank? How about McDonald’s? What politics are their french fries? What politics does Walmart shove in your face? What is Amazon’s political party? Successful companies don’t include politics in their brand.

The loony lefty editors of the Daily want you to break left with them and follow them into the abyss with all the other go woke, go broke companies and industries. Do yourself a favor, when you go to work, leave your politics at home and stick to business in the office.

Brian Mcdonough

Steve always is right.

"Social Justice" is racist, Marxist, Feminist, Liberal and Communist.

There are only 30% white adult Males in America now and fewer every single day.

And who is the 70% of Americans? Not the 30% white adult males.

Every day fewer.

Every day fewer.

Every day fewer.

So, Brian, you have no meaningful rebuttal. Again.

Brian Mcdonough

It is understandable why Steve is upset all the time.

The "white heartland" population of Iowa was 95 % white in 1990, and it was 85 % in 2019: a 10 % drop in 30 years. Nebraska was 92 % white in 1990 and 78 % in 2029: a 14 % drop. Minnesota was 93 % white in 1990 and 79 % in 2019: a 14 % drop.

The average age for an American white person is 58: somewhat hard to have white babies at 58. Less than half of Americans younger than 15 are white. The average age for an American non-white person is 27: baby time.

The population projections for 2050 are 30 % Hispanic, 13 % black, 10 % Asian and only 47 % white.

Adult white males now are only 30 % of the population. The percentage of them as politicians drops and drops with each new election.

It is understandable why Steve is upset all the time: he is an endangered species whose numbers most definitely shall continue to decline. In fact, Trump should issue an Executive Order that American white males are an endangered species and should be protected by the Endangered Species Act.

You are arguing against a position I do not hold. You are also dodging the actual argument I put forward. You argue like a punk, full of attitude and insult, but no facts nor reason. I get it. You hate white males. That just makes you another bigot. That’s not the winning argument you think it is.

Brian Mcdonough

It is understandable why Steve always is angry. More women voters are Democrat than Republican; same with Asians, Hispanics and Blacks; and the same with young voters including young white voters. Even 40% of white male voters identify as Democrat. Immigration and inter-racial marriages shall continue whose voters are welcomed by Democrats. Therefore, it is understandable that Steve always is upset. The Republican white male voter not only is endangered because more of them die every day. The Republican white male voter also is endangered because they are not being replaced. The political species called the Republican white male voter is utterly impotent politically as demographics expose. Therefore, it is understandable that Steve always is upset.

If Trump does issue an Executive Order identifying the Republican white male voter as an endangered species under the Endangered Species Act, it is fitting that Trump consider naming it his:

"Iowa Steve King - Steve Gregg

Executive Order."

Both of them deserve nothing less than that.

What does any of this have to do with my response to this editorial? Nothing. Your rebuttal is non-responsive. You seem to be arguing that there are people who disagree with me in some half-wit argumentum ad populem, which is to say, fallacious logic.

Brian Mcdonough

Megan,

.

Thank you kindly for your numerous publications here including the one above: including writing this after being questioned as a possible "traitor to America" by one of your recurrent commentators here. Pathetic. Despicable. But Predictable as everyone knows: sort of like a Mini-Trump: I.E. Austin Powers. Tiny tiny in other ways!

.

Megan, every time you arouse his rage, you expose his rage for all to read. Megan, arouse it early and often in him. Then, he, not you, shall expose his own evil to those who read his comments.

.

Megan, early and often, give him the rope, hand him the rope on which to hang himself to expose himself as a person utterly lacking of decency and civility:

is White Iowa Megan the American Traitor?

.

Megan, draw, lure, entice, compel his Evil out. He is that stupid an idiot to expose his Evil when you do that as does Trump - and for all to read.

.

Intend your publications, among other things, solely to expose his Evil.

*

Change of Subject:

Megan, consider pondering the following information for an ISD article and not a letter.

The now factual and inevitable future American demographics is that the population of white adult men, which currently is only 30 %, will continue to drop and drop. This drop also already has changed the current political demographics of white adult men. More and more of them already are being replaced by women politicians and by non-white male politicians with every election.

The following are some of the percentages of the steep drop in the white population for 29 years from 1990-2019 in the following states: Nevada: 26%; California: 18 %; Florida: 16.4%; Texas: 16.3 %; New Jersey: 16.1 %; Maryland: 15.8 %; Washington State: 15.3 %; Delaware: 15%; Georgia 15 %; Arizona: 14.8 %; Rhode Island: 13.9 %; Connecticut: 13.8 %;

South Carolina: 13.7 %; Oregon 13.2 %; Oklahoma: 13.2%;

Massachusetts: 12.6 %; Virginia: 12.1 %; Illinois: 11.9 %;

New York: 11.5 %; Utah: 11.4%; Minnesota: 11.4%; Colorado: 11.3%; Nebraska: 11.2 %; Wyoming: 11.1%; Kansas: 11%; New Mexico: 10.7 %; Alasksa: 10.9 %; and North Carolina: 10.5 %.

What is interesting is that 14 of the above state were "Red States" in 2016. Will they still be red states in 2024 or 2028? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This is occurring in the North, South, East and West; and on the East coast, the West coast and the Midwest. This is occuring everywhere in America. This IS America and its future.

The average age for an American white person is 58. It is impossible to have white babies at 58. Less than half of Americans younger than 15 are white. The average age for an American non-white person is 27: baby time for them year after year. Immigrants, children of immigrants and also children of inter-racial marriages shall continue to have children and and their children and continue to rise and rise as the white population drops and drops.

The population projections for 2050 are: 30 % Hispanic; 13 % black; 10 % Asian; and only 47 % white including whites of all ages and genders because of (1) a decrease of younger whites and therefore a decrease in their having white babies; and (2) an increase of whites dying over the next 30 years because of the current average age of no less than 58 which only will grow older and older in the next 30 years.

I predict that it shall be only 45% in 2050.

One need only look in one's daily newspaper at the very

delightful, delicious, diverse names in the birth and wedding announcements; in the pictures of happy immigrant wedding couples; in the pictures of happy inter-racial wedding couples; in the gay and lesbian couples; and then sadly also look at the European names of those many dead people in the obituary section. Those are daily facts. Those are the demographics. Those are the numbers for the future of America.

It also is a demographic fact that the following voters vote Democrat more than Republican: (1) young voters, (2) women as well as (3) Hispanics, (4) African Americans, (5) Asians, (6) nationalized immigrant citizens and (7) other minorities. It also is a demographic fact that 40% of white men vote Democrat more than Republican. So what is left for Republicans: White Male Men? What does that portend for the Republican Party? They already know: they already knew that 7 years ago.

None of these demographic facts is lost on the Republican Party. They are not stupid idiots like some commentators of yours to the ISD. In 2013, seven years ago, the Republican Party published its “Growth and Opportunity Project” report, which also is known as the "Republican Party Autopsy Report,” which may be reviewed here by the reader if ISD respectfully permits such references in its letters:

apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/politics/republican-national-committees-growth-and-opportunity-project-report/380/?itid=lk_inline_manual_1&_gl=1*1laxzsp*_ga*ZW5ZRGVWYmRuQ1ROcnlVS00tZzU3aWRDSzlOTkQ1aWp0ZG5UZ3BQMkg0TjFlMGpjcVcwcEhHbmpUUkVCZlZhMw..

Read it . Read it from 7 years ago. Ponder what it says from SEVEN years ago. Long before Trump, the National Republican Party publicly expressed its literal terror regarding the aforementioned demographics of America making the Republican Party one day literally extinct. The above report is from the National Republican Party: not the Brookings Institute or the Wahington Post or the New York Times. The National Republican Party knew what these demographic numbers portend for the future of the Republican Party. However, sadly for Republicans, their own express published "solutions" to the above demographics have been assassinated or executed by the Republican Party when you compare them with the "solutions" of their current president: a pathological narcissist with overlapping Borderline Personality Disorder. Remind you of anyone else writing about your publications, Megan? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

*

Moving on to another subject.

It is understandable why Steve Gregg is angry all the time here, including at you, Megan, asking if you Megan, of all people, a white God fearing Iowan, are a "traitor" to America? OUCH, ISD!! ENOUGH, ISD!! Has Steve Gregg no sense of decency? Of course not. Has Steve Gregg no sense of shame for the use of such a word towards you, Megan? Of course not!! Does Steve Gregg remind you of anyone, Megan? 🤔🤔🤔

Megan, kindly consider being compassionite to Steve Gregg. Please do. After all, wouldn't you, like Steve, be upset if his white adult male Republican political species is endangered by your very own writings; and is utterly terrified that your own writings are written by you, a white Iowan woman in Ames; and not some Black Marxist Communist woman from the Chicago South Side?

Megan, you, Megan, do not know exactly how much of an existential threat, how much of an ontological threat you are to the ontology of Steve Gregg.

For this reason , it most definitely is understandable why Steve Gregg is angry all the time including at you: wouldn't you be angry, Megan, if you were a member of an endangered political species that is not even replacing its dying members, let alone increasing its living members, because of it's own self imposed political impotency? By the way: does Steve Gregg have children? Perhaps Steve can tell us.

It truly is sad that white male Republicans cannot get it (their political numbers) up (higher): sad when that happens to an organ-ization or an organ-ism. Oh well, can't cry over milk that can't even be spilled.

Kind of makes one wonder if white male Republicans will be as rare as buggy whips one day.

Stay the course, Megan. Your children shall outlive Steve Gregg and his fellow dying dinosaurs. And with that shall be the true political demise of the Steve Gregg's .

First rule of any political party:

"Be fruitful and multiply."

Has Steve Gregg made that? Only he knows.

ISD, what's good for your ISD goose, Steve Gregg, is good for this ISD gender especially after asking if Megan is a "Traitor" to her country?

bri

I question why he has not done that IF he has not done that.

First rule of any political party. Last rule of the Republican Party.

More women voters are Democrat than Republican; same with Asians, Hispanics and Blacks; and the same with young voters including young white voters. Even 40% of white male voters identify as Democrat. Immigration and inter-racial marriages shall continue whose voters are welcomed by Democrats.

Therefore, it is understandable that Steve always is upset. The Republican white male voter not only is endangered because more of them die every day. The Republican white male voter also is endangered because they are not being replaced. The political species called the Republican white male voter is utterly impotent politically as demographics expose. Therefore, it is understandable that Steve always is upset.

"Iowa Steve King - Steve Gregg

Executive Order."

Brian Mcdonough

Megan,

Thank you kindly for your numerous publications here including the one above: including writing this after being questioned as being a possible "traitor to America" by one of your recurrent commentators here.  Pathetic. Despicable.  Contempibable.  But predictable as everyone knows who reads him: sort of like a Mini-Trump: I.E. Austin Powers. Tiny tiny in other ways as well!! Lol!!

Megan, every time you arouse his rage, you expose his rage for all to read.  Megan, arouse it early and often in him.  Then, he, not you, shall expose his own evil to those who read his comments.

Megan, early and often, give him the rope, hand him the rope on which to hang himself to expose himself as a person utterly lacking of decency and civility let alone shame:

Megan: draw, lure, entice, compel his Evil out.  He is that stupid an idiot to expose his Evil when you do that as does His Trump - and for all to read.

*

Change of Subject:

This is occurring in the North, South, East and West; and on the East coast, the West coast and the Midwest. This is occuring everywhere in America. This IS America and is its future.

The average age for an American white person is 58. It is impossible to have white babies at 58. Less than half of Americans younger than 15 are white. The average age for an American non-white person is 27: baby time for them year after year. Immigrants, children of immigrants and also children of inter-racial marriages shall continue to have children and and their children shall continue to rise and rise in numbers as the white population drops and drops.

I reasonably predict that it shall be only 45% in 2050.

delightful, delicious, diverse names in the birth announcementsand the wedding announcements; in the pictures of happy immigrant wedding couples; in the pictures of happy inter-racial wedding couples; in the gay and lesbian couples; and then sadly also look at the European names of those many dead people in the obituary section. Oye Vey!! Those are daily facts. Those are daily local demographics. Those are the daily local numbers for the future of America.  

It also is a demographic fact that the following voters do vote Democrat more than Republican: (1) young voters, (2) women as well as (3) Hispanics, (4) African Americans, (5) Asians, (6) nationalized immigrant citizens and (7) other minorities. It also is a demographic fact that 40% of white men vote Democrat more than Republican.  So what is left for Republicans: White Male Men.  What does that portend for the Republican Party?  They already know: they already knew that 7 years ago.

None of these demographic facts is lost on the Republican Party.  They are not stupid idiots like some commentators of your missives to the ISD. In 2013, seven years ago, the Republican Party published its “Growth and Opportunity Project” report, which also is known as the "Republican Party Autopsy Report,” which may be reviewed here by the reader if ISD respectfully permits such references in its letters:

Read it .  Read it from 7 years ago.  Ponder what it says from  SEVEN years ago: long before Trump and when it publicly exposed its literal terror regarding the aforementioned demographics of America making the Republican Party one day literally extinct: which Trump had done to the Republican Party the last 4 years. 

The above report is from the National Republican Party: not the Brookings Institute or the Wahington Post or the New York Times.  The National Republican Party knew what these demographic numbers portend for the future of the Republican Party no less than years ago. However, sadly for Republicans, their own express published "solutions" to the above demographics have been assassinated or executed  by the Republican Party when you compare them with the "solutions" of their current president: a pathological narcissist with overlapping Borderline Personality Disorder. Remind you of anyone else writing about your publications, Megan?  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

*

Moving on to another subject.

It is understandable why Steve Gregg is angry all the time here, including at you, Megan, asking if you Megan, of all people, a white God fearing Iowan, are a "traitor to America"? OUCH, ISD!!  ENOUGH, ISD!!  Has Steve Gregg no sense of decency?  Of course not.  Has Steve Gregg no sense of shame for the use of such a word towards you, Megan?  Of course not!! Does Steve Gregg remind you of anyone, Megan?  🤔🤔🤔

Megan, kindly consider being compassionite to Steve Gregg.  Please do.  After all, wouldn't you, like Steve, be upset if his white adult male Republican political species is endangered by your very own writings; and is utterly terrified that your own writings are written by you, a white Iowan woman in Ames; and not some Black Marxist Communist woman from the Chicago South Side?  

For this reason , it most definitely is understandable why Steve Gregg is angry all the time including at you: wouldn't you be angry, Megan, if you were a member of an endangered political species that is not even replacing its dying members, let alone increasing its living members, because of it's own self imposed political impotency?   By the way: does Steve Gregg have children?    Perhaps Steve can tell us.

Stay the course, Megan.  Your children shall outlive Steve Gregg and his fellow dying dinosaurs. And with that shall be the true political demise of Steve Gregg.

First rule of any political party:

"Be fruitful and multiply." 

Has Steve Gregg made that?  Only he knows.

ISD, what's good for your ISD goose, Steve Gregg, is good for this ISD gander, especially after asking if Megan if she is a "Traitor" to her country.

First rule of any political party; Last rule of the Republican Party: " be fruitful and multiple."

Is that Steve Gregg's rule? Lol.

Well, Brian, nothing illustrates the kind of crazed partisans I'm up against than your frothing at the mouth screed above, none of which addresses the arguments I put forward. Thanks for being crazy and sharing it with the world.

Lee Harker

Brian are you replying to the editorial or trying to get a date with Megan. Keep it in your pants man.

Brian is obviously not getting any dates, if you know what I mean.