white house.jpg

Letter writer Kenn Bowen discusses the upcoming election and its results: either neoliberalism or fascism. 

On Nov. 3, the U.S. will have a presidential election, and eligible voters will choose between fascism or neoliberalism.

True, there are third-party opportunities or write-in ballots or even choosing to not vote at all. But still, in January, the nation will be led by either a fascist or a neoliberal.

While it matters who sits in the House on Pennsylvania Avenue, it matters more who sits in the various Governors’ Mansions. It matters more who sits in the state legislative halls and on the County Boards of Supervisors and in the city halls. It’s called “down-ballot voting,” and this year, probably more so than any other year, the significance of down-ballot voting cannot be overemphasized.

The only way to save this country from fascism and neoliberalism is to elect as many grassroots-based candidates as possible, candidates who speak with actions and not just words, candidates who will represent everyday people because they are everyday people and not a part of some entitled elite.

We have a chance to return our nation to that notion of being a "beacon of hope" for the world, and this is the election where that process begins.

Kenn Bowen is a subscriber to the Iowa State Daily. 

Milty Friedman

Fascists are socialists, not capitalists, not conservatives. Mussolini, who created the Fascist Party, was born into a socialist family. He was named after a famous socialist of the time. He grew up to edit three different socialist newspapers. He formed the Fascist Party mostly from socialist factions. After he became leader of the Fascist party, Mussolini gave a speech in which he declared himself to be a socialist, to have always been a socialist, and would always be a socialist. These are all clues that Fascists were socialists.

Trump is a capitalist billionaire, the opposite of a socialist, the opposite of a Fascist. When the Left persists in calling him a Fascist, it illustrates their deep and aggressive ignorance. It’s like we conservatives are fighting chimps.

Chris Johannsen

I can cite plenty more sources if this doesn't suffice but on Mussolini:

"Opposition parties, trade unions, and the free press were outlawed. Free speech was crushed. A network of spies and secret policemen watched over the population. This repression hit moderate Liberals and Catholics as well as Socialists."

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Benito-Mussolini/Rise-to-power

The defining characteristic of fascism in this case is authoritarianism, but in either case it's just a bold faced lie that fascists are socialists. Just because someone claims to be socialist, like Mussolini or the name of the Nazis, does that make them socialist? I would say tread lightly when reading into what a fascist says about themselves, Trump included.

Milty Friedman

The Fascists were socialists. Your description of their policies sounds very accurate to me and perfectly describes the policies other socialists imposed, such as the National Socialists, the International Socialists (Communists), the North Korean socialists, the North Vietnamese socialists, the Khymer Rouge, ad infinitude. The defining characteristic of Fascism is socialism. And, yes, if somebody like Mussolini talks like a socialist, acts like a socialist, and claims to be a socialist, those are clues that they are socialists.

However, thanks for your assertion that Trump is a Fascist, which proves my point above.

James T.

I think we all know how she has framed this: Trump as the fascist and Biden as the neoliberal. In my opinion, neither descriptions are appropriate. Neoliberalism is based on capitalism, deregulation, and less government spending. Biden is not going to deregulate or lessen government spending. Fascism is based on nationalism, authoritarianism, and the idea that individual interests be subordinate to the good of the nation. Trump is not authoritarian; he has taken no one's rights, and he is more pro-individual than any other politician.

A better comparison would be: Voters will choose between a bombastic patriot, or a fading puppet.