Mail-in ballot.jpg (copy) (copy)

Letter writer Joe Bialek urges voting to transition completely to mail, eliminating poll voting. 

Voting by mail should replace voting at the polls in its entirety. The two institutions that can definitely be trusted are the County Board of Elections and the United States Postal Service. 

The money saved by eliminating the need for poll workers could be used to offer free postage on the envelopes used to vote by mail. The person voting would also have more time to consider what they are voting for and would not be confined to the hours of the polling place.

It would also prevent unwanted entry to schools and churches from anyone trying to harm someone. In addition, the voter would not be harassed by someone trying to place unsolicited campaign literature into their hand.

The additional revenue would boost the Postal Service and perhaps keep it afloat until we, as a country, are able to vote online.

Voting by mail would solve the registered voter problem and guarantee safe passage of the ballots to the County Board of Elections. It might even prevent further spread of the COVID-19 virus.

Jamison Osborne

I have to disagree with you. The cost of postage alone would be over $85 million, to say nothing of the man hours needed to actually get the ballots from A to B. That'll be a lot more than what poll workers get paid.

As for time to make a decision. Waiting until you are in the booth to think about who you are going to vote for is like going to Starbucks, getting to the front of the line and then looking at the menu. You should have long since made your mind up before you got to that point.

It's generally a rule that you aren't allowed to solicit other voters waiting in line. That's what security is for. They get paid to politely tell the problem people to pound sand.

Voting hours aren't during a time when polling places are performing their usual functions. So I'm not sure what you're getting at when it comes to unwanted access. People can do that already. Voters or no voters.

Finally, as to trusting the postal service and the Board of Elections, well, the state of North Carolina would disagree with that. It's been a rough few years for them. Sorry guys. It'll get better, promise.

James T.

Maybe this article is supposed to be a joke and it went right over my head, but this argument is lacking in a few key areas: Evidence and logic. Nothing is cited for evidence and there was no consideration of potential fraudulent ballots, only that the ballots would supposedly get to their destination safely.