Student Government (copy)

Letter writer Ryan Hurley argues the Iowa State Student Government is not an effective system to help the student body. 

From a young age, I have been involved in Student Government, always working to better society around me and the lives within the community. Never before have I seen a Student Government as corrupt as the Iowa State Student Government, a sleazy den filled with opportunists and climbers, alongside a few genuinely good people. I joined Student Government to help the people and have consistently been pushed against in these efforts. I continue to run because I know this could be a sound system that effectively helps students rather than a waste of time and space.

Upon winning my election last year, I was greeted with many members' cold regards and vicious rumors. These people hated that a bull had entered; they rarely had the bravery to approach me and get to know me. This problem of cowardice continued throughout the year, where everyone put on a friendly mask when a fair amount of us hated each other. The people at the top would make decisions without any input from members of the body. Only the chosen few would be allowed to hear about these before they were to happen.

Transparency was a buzzword that few people cared about. Bills were kept from the public and financial records were hidden away in archaic systems. I fought against these things, as I believe transparency is essential in governance, but I was forced to jump through tons of hoops and barrels to do anything. I suspect many others felt similarly, as just four people pass about 90 percent of bills. That being said, four is a large number of senators due to how many have left. Student Government is in shambles, and nobody except the climbers wants to be in the machine.

I hope you gather from this article and from many experiences that Student Government is a waste of time, money and space. To have a system that actually represents students, we would need to tear down this system that does nothing for the people it claims to represent. I surveyed 100 people in the dorms, and only nine approved of Student Government or Inter-Residence Hall Association Council. Shockingly, even Dictator Muammar Gaddafi had a higher approval rating (13 percent), a very damning survey.

Ryan Hurley is a junior in marketing and the president of Iowa State College Republicans.

Noah Kopischke

You're just getting your first taste of what the American government is like. Most of the politicians are incompetent, inefficient, and only care about themselves.

Kate Alucard

It's the hatred of cancel culture, but the desire to cancel StuGov for me.

You are correct in that StuGov lacks transparency, and needs to do better, but this? This seems to be a personal gripe with StuGov but lacks concrete tangible action items in your complaints. Without offering constructive criticism or a path forward for the allegations you've laid out, tearing down organizations is not a great idea. When I resigned, I had no intention of my private emails being publicized, but since then, I have worked to create action items and goals so that ISU can actually be better for all students. One of the biggest issues with this piece is that you clearly want something to change, but you call yourself a bull and talk about how you strike fear in people. If what you say is true, you walked in prepared to fight, and not prepared to serve. StuGov should not give a platform to people who want to fight one another for sport, but here you are. Even when you have said extremely divisive, racist, and bigoted comments, StuGov actually defended you by saying nothing and upheld white supremacy by not holding you accountability. So tell me - does freedom of speech only need protecting when it's not damning if your own actions?

In regards to your comparison of StuGov to Gaffadi, please keep in mind that Gaffadi had the army open fire on protestors in Benghazi, harming and killing people, which led to many politicians defecting and resigning. I believe you supported the 45th US president's dispatch of military personnel to protests in the past year, and they did in fact open fire, harm and kill people. I would caution you to not compare another countries' wars and violent conflict to your perceived slight with StuGov, especially with your history of supporting individuals with the same behavior as Gaffadi. It's offensive and inappropriate.

As a final note, I hope you filled out the appropriate IRB paperwork for your human research-based survey, but if not, you might be receiving a follow-up from the Office of Ethics.

Educated but slothful is how Ignatius J. Reilly is described... I know Confederacy of Dunces is one of your favorite books... Strive to be better than that.

Kate Alucard

You are correct in that StuGov lacks transparency, and needs to do better, but this? This seems to be a personal gripe with StuGov but lacks concrete tangible action items in your complaints. Without offering constructive criticism or a path forward for the allegations you've laid out, tearing down organizations is not a great idea. When I resigned, I had no intention of my private emails being publicized, but since then, I have worked to create action items and goals so that ISU can actually be better for all students. One of the biggest issues with this piece is that you clearly want something to change, but you call yourself a bull and talk about how you strike fear in people. If what you say is true, you walked in prepared to fight, and not prepared to serve. StuGov should not give a platform to people who want to fight one another for sport, but here you are. Even when you have said extremely divisive, racist, and bigoted comments, StuGov actually defended you by saying nothing and upheld white supremacy by not holding you accountability. So tell me - does freedom of speech only need protecting when it's not damning of your own actions?

In regard to your comparison of Stupor to Gaddafi, please keep in mind that Gaddafi had the army open fire on protesters in Benghazi, harming and killing people, which led to many politicians defecting and resigning. I believe you supported the 45ths president's dispatch of military personnel to protests in the past year, and they did in fact open fire, harm and kill people. I would caution you to not compare another countries' wars and violent conflict to your perceived slight with StuGov, especially with your history of supporting individuals with the same behavior as Gaddafi. It's offensive and inappropriate.