Trump Biden debate (copy)

Letter writer Dawson Schmitt designs a template for Biden to unite the left and right wings of politics. 

More and more Democratic leaders are not showing any promises to unify America following the 2020 presidential election.

In his victory speech following the election, President-elect Joe Biden claimed he plans to unify Americans, becoming a leader for those who did and did not vote for him in 2020. While he was not entirely certified as the Electoral College's official president-elect until Dec. 14, he promised that citizens could put the harsh rhetoric behind us and work towards our country's healing.

Despite many conservatives and Republicans willing to accept the results and want to move forward with our lives, top Democratic leaders and “celebrities” show that they are unwilling to follow Biden’s plan to unify America.

Jen O’Malley Dillon, Biden’s campaign manager and White House deputy chief of staff, was not shy when she came out calling Republicans “a bunch of f---ers.” This explicit name-calling directed towards half of a nation is, in fact, not a call for unity. Dillon has since revoked her ill-suited claim. However, following her controversial statement, she pointed out her opinion of how terrible now Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is, only for Biden and McConnell to shortly come out saying they are excited to begin working with each other.

After the attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, the division rose even higher among the lies promulgated by Democratic leaders in the House. The members of the establishment media are also happy to echo the condemnation of their opponents. Many conservatives and Republicans have come out saying they condemn the senseless and dangerous act of rampaging through the Capitol. It is essential to call it out for what it was: a peaceful protest hijacked by rioters and anarchists.

However, prominent Democrats held no reservations in condemning all those who voted for Trump, saying we are responsible and condone this un-American act of violence and anarchy. Michelle Obama tweeted a statement the day after the Capitol riot where she wrote, “Now is the time for those who voted for this president to see the reality of what they supported.” However, in the last section of her statement, she said that in order to repair the division in our country, we need to “reach out” and to “listen,” all at the same time calling for the banning of conservative voices from all platforms. They are taking a time where most people on the left and right have a unified consensus that the actions of the event on Jan. 6 should not go unpunished and use it to demonize their opposition by saying we support the rioters. 

It is hard not to mention Hillary Clinton’s statement in 2018, concluding that any political opposition to the Democratic agenda promotes incivility, and the solution resides through single-party control. “That’s why I believe, if we are fortunate enough to win back the House and/or the Senate, that’s when civility can start again,” Clinton said in an interview with CNN’s Christiane Amanpour.

While this is not new, the intolerant leaders' agenda who believe “it’s my way or the highway” is becoming more apparent. They claim that they are fighting for free speech, which is the ability to speak freely without worrying about getting fired or censored for a comment that should not be controversial. This used to be an apparent truth that united American years ago.

If Biden truly wishes to complete his unification goal, there has to be discussion, not censorship. If you want conservatives and liberals or Democrats and Republicans to understand one another, it is time to stop dismissing one another as racist, homophobic, snowflakes, libtards, bigots, etc. Right now, productive debates are replaced by amplified altercations, and trigger warnings replace civil discourse. Speakers are banned from talking to students on college campuses because their opinions are not in the mainstream. Trying to tell conservatives to check their privilege or cancel them altogether prevents discourse necessary for genuine progress in society.

This piece is not an attack on my peers who disagree with me or those who support those I have described, but blindly following the politicians is folly because they have never been the true victors of unity. American culture has. Real unity will come when we finally open up a dialogue with one another. Instead of relying on political leaders to call for unity, why can’t we initiate it ourselves?

Dawson Schmitt is a junior in agricultural and life sciences education.

Emily Pottebaum

"Despite many conservatives and Republicans willing to accept the results and want to move forward with our lives" lol remind me who exactly stormed the capitol a month ago?

Milty Friedman

Remind me of who stormed the Supreme Court during Kavanaugh’s confirmation.

Emily Pottebaum

Did they shatter windows and break into a government building? Did 7 people die in the process? Was the protest incited by the president over completely false claims of fraud? That's a false equivalence and you know it.

Milty Friedman

Seven people did not die from the Capitol riots. One rioter was shot and one cop died from unknown causes. At first, they thought he had been hit in the head by a fire extinguisher, but they found no signs of blunt force trauma so they are stymied as to cause. Another couple people died of natural causes and two cops committed suicide days later. Simply put, you’re lying to pump up the numbers. Really, Emily, if somebody drops dead of a heart attack next to you, does that mean that you murdered her? If a student commits suicide on campus, does that mean you did him in? If so, please report to prison immediately.

Yes, the Kavanaugh rioters broke into a government building. It’s called the Supreme Court. The lefty rioters were motivated by a crazy conspiracy theory that Kavanaugh had gang-raped girls in ten different gang-rape parties, which everyone on the Left supported, like the crazed loons they are.

Ian Hutchison

The quotation you have provided seems to be making the claim that the majority of conservatives accepted the results. Assuming that anyone who associates with the right holds the same beliefs as the rioters is a generalization and a logical fallacy.

Emily Pottebaum

Ian the president incited the riot

Milty Friedman

Did he indeed? The media is telling us that the groups who executed the riot had been planning their assault for days before. Did Trump incite them retroactively in time?

Milty Friedman

Dawson, we can’t have reasoned debate over differing ideas. This is a university! There is no place for that here.

Facts and Logic

I beleive that is the point - the vast, vast, vast majority of Conservatives (and on both sides) have quickly and unequivocally condemned the Capitol events. It is unfair to attribute the actions of a fringe few to a party as a whole. For example, in 2017 a Bernie Sanders supporter shot several Congress people at a Congression baseball game. Just as that was not implicative of the entire Democratic party, the Capitol events are not implicative of the entire Republican party. Every party and every movement has radicals, that is just a fact of life. When the party moves together to condemn said outliers, it is no longer fair to consider them to be in league with the outliers.

Jack Hansen

Speaking about "unifying Americans," the damage to Republicans everywhere goes far beyond Trump's second impeachment trial or whatever its verdict may be.

Republican seditious, treasonous domestic terrorists stormed The Capitol Building after being encouraged to do so by Republican seditious, treasonous, domestic terrorist President Trump who said, among other things and just minutes before inviting their insurrection at, and their storming of, The Capitol: "We FIGHT LIKE HELL, and if you don't FIGHT LIKE HELL, you're not going to have a country left."

200 Republican seditious, treasonous domestic terrorists have been arrested so far, and the number will rise and rise. The DOJ now will be adding "RICO" crimes against the Proud Boys which will cause other as yet unindicted members of the Proud Boys to be indicted in the future under the very broad reach and the very deep depth of the RICO statute as well as under "18 USC. Ch. 115: Treadon, Sedition and Subversive Activities" to overthrow the Government of the United States of America.

RICO also will be used against the 3 %ers, the Oath Keepers, the Ohio State Regular Militia, the Texas Freedom Force, the Woodland Wild Dogs and the other groups of Nazis, antisemites, white supremacists and racist, seditious, treasonous domestic terrorists who supported Republican seditious, Teasonous domestic terrorist Trump when he told them to "FIGHT LIKE HELL" to stop the vote of the Electoral College of the Government of the United States of America just hours before the vote finally was completed after, and in spite of, their insurrection at, and their storming of the Capitol. Canada has declared the Proud Boys to be a Terrorist Organization. Expect the same by the United States after the RICO indictments against the Proud Boys and the future RICO indictments against the other Republican seditious, Teasonous domestic terrorist groups involved with the insurrection at, and the storming of, The Capitol.

The damaging impact on Republicans everywhere from the particular event that triggered the second impeachment trial will last years and years after the trial. That event is and shall continue to be a political virus affecting only Republicans and for which there is no vaccine; a virus that shall mutate with every new Republican criminal indictment, every new Republican criminal trial, every new Republican conviction and every new Republican imprisonment; a virus whose cause is a political poison that already is known by and shall be known by American voters in the future; a virus to which American voters shall not expose themselves; and a virus against which American voters already know and shall continue to know how to protect themselves.

Milty Friedman

Why do you think the government does not take the same hard line against the Black Lives Matter and Antifa rioters who burned down entire business districts, murdered a couple dozen people, and put hundreds of cops in the hospital?

Milty Friedman

Despite your claim that Republicans support this Capitol riot, I know none who do. I doubt you even know any conservatives since you are busy making straw conservatives to punch. I don’t know any conservatives who support the crazy QAnon shaman guy wearing buffalo horns and body paint. I don’t know any conservatives who believe the QAnon nonsense that there is a secret child-sex trafficking ring run by Satanic, cannibalistic Democratic politicians and celebrities. It’s sophomoric. Nor does any conservative believe that the world is run by shape-shifting lizards in human suits. That’s the kind of story you’d expect to hear from a Daily editor on his second bong.

Jack Hansen

See this admission by the attorney for one of the Capitol Building, seditious, treasonous domestic terrorist criminals:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/02/09/capitol-rioter-lawyer-trump-team-statement-brent-mayr-ebof-vpx.cnn&ved=2ahUKEwjg_4DR19vuAhXqmeAKHdQ7AgYQo7QBMAB6BAgBEAE&usg=AOvVaw1vf1VJyoTKW0-acn38V7op https://us.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/02/09/capitol-rioter-lawyer-trump-team-statement-brent-mayr-ebof-vpx.cnn

Jack Hansen

Oh, I have upset some fake commentators. 😲🤭😏🤗

Here, read some of the following Republican "Truth and Logic" conspiracy theories of Republican Congress-person Taylor-Greene who is supported by other Republican Senators and Congress-persons, who is supported nationally by the Republican Party and who is the new and shall be the future national Republican poster child that is and shall be a gift that keeps on giving to Republicans throughout the country - and to Democrats throughout the country - 🤣🤣🤣🤣 .

With the Capitol building storming by Republican seditious, treasonous domestic terrorists and a national face and friend like Qanon, the Republican Party needs no other enemies.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-technology-las-vegas-mass-shooting-media-social-media-700f28747d856a9bad22a59674a9afe6&ved=2ahUKEwj_9uvV7N3uAhUKQzABHRAACtoQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw3eos2V275EOGP15y6T1imk

Jack Hansen

Oh, I have upset some fake commentators. Here, read some of the following Republican "Truth and Logic" conspiracy theories of Republican Congress-person Taylor-Greene who is supported by other Republican Senators and Congress-persons, who is supported nationally by the Republican Party and who is the new and shall be the future national Republican poster child that is and shall be a gift that keeps on giving to Republicans throughout the country - and to Democrats throughout the country. With the Capitol building storming by Republican seditious, treasonous domestic terrorists and a national face and friend like Qanon, the Republican Party needs no other enemies... ... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-technology-las-vegas-mass-shooting-media-social-media-700f28747d856a9bad22a59674a9afe6&ved=

Milty Friedman

Neither Taylor-Greene nor QAnon represent Republicans who find both ridiculous. Such slander is typical of liberals who cannot make an honest case for their cause.

Jack Hansen

When Republican friend Fox News writes this about Republicans, who needs enemies. Lol! See:

https://fox11online.com/news/connect-to-congress/trump-fumes-gop-senators-baffled-by-legal-teams-debut

Jack Hansen

https://www.kten.com/story/43335070/justice-department-says-an-oath-keepers-leader-waited-for-trumps-direction-before-capitol-attack