wind energy (copy)

Letter writer Cherie Mortice urges people to stop MidAmerican Energy from raising rates.

As a MidAmerican Energy customer, I find it hard to understand why they continue to ride on the production of coal and the purchasing of natural gas while moving lethargically toward the abundance of savings in wind and solar energy. Meanwhile, they’ve been making well over half a billion in profits every year from the bills we pay them. But they think nothing of making residents and small businesses absorb the extreme costs of heat this winter.

Shouldn’t their massive profits be used to prevent inevitable swings in extreme temperatures? Other utilities pay homeowners and businesses to retrofit their homes for energy efficiency and to produce their own energy. This saves everyone money, makes us more energy independent and ensures we have a habitable planet.

The THRIVE Act is a federal bill that would require MidAmerican to transition to a more reliable renewable energy system and create 15 million family-sustaining jobs in the process.

If you’re sick of MidAmerican raising your rates and want real solutions, sign Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement’s petition: bit.ly/stop-hiking-rates

Seymour Trout

Coal and gas are not driving the climate, not in Iowa, not anywhere. Your energy company is not driving the climate by using coal and gas. Your energy company does not owe you money to retrofit your house because you believe in the popular delusion of man-made climate change. If you believed the Easter bunny was making the weather too hot, your energy company would not owe you money to lay rabbit traps in your yard. If you believed that ghosts were setting your thermostat too high, your energy company would not be obliged to hire ghostbusters to fix it.

Man-made climate change is a popular delusion with no foundation in science. It is unfalsifiable, which means it is irrational, pseudo-science, a faith.