AnnieHeadshot.jpg

2019-2020 Editor-in-Chief Annelise Wells.

Welcome back to campus, Cyclones.

I hope everyone had a restful, relaxing winter break. I can't believe that it's already time to start second semester; time is flying by so quickly, and hopefully the cold winter will also go just as fast. 

Here at the Iowa State Daily, we had a busy fall semester, and we aren't planning on slowing down anytime soon. Tis' the season for New Year's resolutions, so here are some goals that our newsroom has for spring 2020.

The days are dwindling until the Iowa caucuses, which I am sure you can tell by the number of political ads in your Youtube videos and fliers in your mailbox.

Being in Iowa, we have such a unique opportunity when it comes to politics. On Friday, we will be launching our caucus series that will span the next couple of weeks. The series will help you figure out what the caucuses actually are, how to caucus, why to caucus and provide you with the holistic, unbiased information you need to choose who to caucus for. As a newspaper, one of our main goals is to inform the public, and this is such a great, exciting opportunity to do so.

We also want to reach out and connect with the Iowa State community more and engage with our readers. Through engagement and discussion based events, we want to learn what you want to see us cover and if there's anything we are missing. 

We are also heading into the spring semester with a multimedia focus. Make sure to follow us on our Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to check out videos and photos from our talented visuals staff. With the changing media world, it's important to provide multiple ways to convey our information and stories.

We are always looking for and welcoming new staff members, anything from reporters, copy editors, columnists, photographers, videographers and more. Creating conversation is also part of our job, so in our opinion section you can submit a letter to the editor or apply to join the Iowa State Daily Editorial Board. 

At the Iowa State Daily, transparency is very important to us, and I am always available to discuss our news process and how our newsroom works. Please feel free to reach out to me at annelise.wells@iowastatedaily.com with any questions, concerns or story ideas or stop by our office at 2420 Lincoln Way Suite 205. 

Does any of your vision include hiring conservatives as editors or entertaining conservative viewpoints or is it going to be more of the same lefty propaganda that the Daily has delivered for the last hundred semesters?