Looking back at old photographs of how towns and cities used to look is a special thing. It’s mind-blowing to compare them to recent photos and see how far the world has come. America is one of the most changing and revolutionary countries in the world. We are always looking towards the future and wondering what’s next. That’s at least what should be happening. Instead, there are quite a number of citizens who have a mind-set of the 19th century. Back then, white men were better than everyone else. Women and African-Americans were somehow thought of as lesser beings. Here we are, two centuries later, stumbling upon those views more than we should be. With people like that, will America still be the land of opportunities like it always has been?

Not until 1920 were women allowed to vote in national elections. That was less than 100 years ago. Multiple countries gave women the right to vote several years before the United States caught on. Not until the 1960’s were African-Americans treated equally as white people in everyday life. If anyone has ever taken a history class, they know how hard African-Americans worked to receive equal rights. It is hard to even fathom the idea that people back then thought whites were better than blacks, considering how many highly successful and skilled African-Americans there are today, like athletes and our president. It is hard to understand how anyone could still think that way.

Growing up, my teachers drilled into my head how much of a “melting pot” America is. I grew up knowing that America is filled with people of all colors, shapes and ways of life. If people can’t accept that, then maybe they shouldn’t be a part of a country where everyone is treated equal. Oh, but that’s right — that’s not actually true. Not only are women still considered less intelligent, or not as capable, but now that there is an established gay community, we can’t treat them equally either because they aren’t a straight, white male.

After seeing how horrible people have been in world history, I would have guessed everyone could learn from the mistakes of others and try to make the world a better place. But giving gays the right to get married seems to be impossible for America, as a whole, to accomplish. Once again, other countries are realizing how to treat everyone the same earlier than America is by allowing gay marriage. As the great Thomas Jefferson wrote in the Declaration of Independence, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” However, it seems Americans like to refer to the Bible to run America more than America’s own rules written when it was established.

So what happened to the separation of Church and State? How can people still be quoting Bible verses to control what happens to people who might not even be Christian? And why doesn’t the American government realize this yet? I am disgusted to say I live in a country where folks are more concerned about the possibility of getting their hunting rifles taken away. If we can’t do something as simple as grant marriage to everyone, then how do we expect to control something as widespread and controversial as gun control? The government seems to have its priorities mixed up.

“The American Dream” is a concept known around the world, but little do people know, you have to fit a certain criteria in order to be accepted in America. We’re supposed to be the land of the free, yet people are afraid to be who they are. Religion, gender, race and sexual orientation are all reasons which may constitute for you not being good enough to the average American. There should be bigger things to worry about, but if something as easy as gay marriage can’t be passed in America, it’s only a matter of time before the hate becomes greater than the love in the world and that is when the world will fall miserably to its knees in defeat. When the power of love overcomes the love of power, that is when the world will know peace.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alexa Hopson is a sophomore in apparel, merchandising and design from Grimes, Iowa.

David Jackson

“Not only are women still considered less intelligent, or not as capable, but now that there is an established gay community, we can’t treat them equally either because they aren’t a straight, white male.”
-Alexa Hopson

What freaking classes are you taking!? I know that race and gender baiting are still the mainstay of several fluff academic departments at ISU but this claim is ridiculous. Who are all these people claiming women are less capable/intelligent or that straight white males are the only ones being treated equal?

The only lack of intelligence I’m seeing is the problem you seem to have (and politically many people have) even knowing what “rights” are.

“But giving gays the right to get married seems to be impossible for America, as a whole, to accomplish.”
-Alexa Hopson

So now we are “giving rights” to “gays” instead of people having rights regardless of what social group(s) they happen to belong to? First, if marriage is a right, why does EVERYONE who wants one have to get a license from the State to ensure they meet the current criteria to get a license before they can marry? Like a driver’s license for a car on public streets, it’s almost like marriage is a legal privilege that the State can define criteria in order to get isn't it? Second, since there is no State that allows relatives or polygamists to get married gays are certainly not the only ones who cannot get married. Do you not believe these people are human beings with equal rights or do you just not care about their “rights” or “equality” because they don’t have a group that marches with protest signs and get's noticed by the gender studies professor every once in a while?

If marriage is going to be a right that all must equally receive then the only limit any State can enforce is you can’t get married unless you’re a legally able to consent for yourself. You see rights are something EVERYONE has, not straight, gay, women’s, white, rights, or (insert demographic here) rights. Right’s are either there because you are an adult human or they are not, PERIOD.

Sorry but you have been force fed too much race/gender/sexual orientation propaganda from the self-anointed experts and social scientists who have accomplished anything outside of academia. You claim certain people still “think a certain way” about women and certain races but you fail to even define what that way is. Then complain about "rights" when talking about a legal privilege that isn't given out "equally" anywhere.

If you think America is a racist, homophobic, backward hell, you need to take a trip beyond our borders and get a good look at the rest of the world. Most of it is pretty raw, ignorant, and backward. Your complaint that America is not utopia is that of a coddled child who makes perfect the enemy of the good.

If white males are the only ones being treated equally in the world, why is it that they are the only ones fired for harassment in the business world? I'll give you a donut if you can name any woman who has been fired for harassment and it's not like they don't do it.

You might check out this new invention called Tele-Vision. If you watch the major networks, there is hardly a show nor commercial where the white man does not play the bumbling boob while children, women, and minorities are extolled as mystically superior beings of vast competence and wisdom. TV is a politically correct wasteland of racism and sexism.

Gay marriage is a bad idea. Civil unions is a better fit. Heterosexual marriage and gay civil unions should proceed independently, with civil unions evolving to fit the peculiar needs of gay couples. That said, America can be a perfectly good country without gay marriage while offering up civil unions.

James Sampica

"Gay marriage is a bad idea. Civil unions is a better fit. Heterosexual marriage and gay civil unions should proceed independently, with civil unions evolving to fit the peculiar needs of gay couples. That said, America can be a perfectly good country without gay marriage while offering up civil unions."

Separate but equal civil rights. Where have I heard that one before?

David Jackson

"Separate but equal civil rights. Where have I heard that one before?"
-James Sampica

"Rights" but you have to get a license to exercise them. Where have I heard that before??? Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go checks and make sure my free speech license is up to date.