Bernie Sanders DSM

Columnist Olivia Rasmussen argues Bernie Sanders has been a candidate who has consistently stuck with their goals and beliefs. Rasmussen uses direct quotes from Sanders to support her point. 

Who Said It?

As the political arena heats up this week with the next set of debates on Wednesday, more people show their support or their opposition of the differing candidates.

But are they really listening to the policies and ideas the candidates are sharing, or does the support and/or opposition boil down to the candidate alone? I am going to list a handful of statements said by one presidential hopeful, and I’d like to readers to ask themselves, “Is this what I’d like to see in the future president?” and/or, “Do I agree with this?”

“Healthcare is a human right, not a privilege.” (Quote here.)

“As a nation, we have a moral obligation to provide the best quality care to those who put their lives on the line to defend us. Just as planes and tanks and guns are a cost of war, so is taking care of the men and women who we sent off to fight the wars. It includes caring for the spouses and children who have to rebuild their lives after the loss of a loved one. It includes caring for the hundreds of thousands of veterans with multiple amputations or loss of eyesight, post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury. It includes veterans who are having difficulty keeping jobs in order to pay their bills, and it includes the terrible tragedy of veterans committing suicide.” (Quote here.)

“Our job is to build a nation in which we all stand together as one people.” (Quote here.)

“Fundamental change in America’s agricultural and rural policies is no longer just an option; it’s an absolute necessity. Farmers, foresters and ranchers steward rural landscapes, which benefit all Americans. They provide us with essential resources such as food, fiber, building materials, renewable energy, clean water and habitat for biodiversity ... With the right support and policies, we can have rural communities that are thriving economically and ecologically.” (Quote here.)

“Let’s create a society of hope and compassion. Not one of hate and vengeance.” (Quote here.)

“No president alone can do what has to be done. And what has to be done is that millions of people have got to stand up and demand that we have a government that represents all of us, not the one percent.” (Quote here.)

“It’s time the government had the backs of family farmers instead of doing favors for corporate agriculture monopolies. When we are in the White House, we will revitalize rural America by fighting for working people and farmers, not big agri-business.” (Quote here.)

“What a president of the United States has got to be about is not only bringing people together but understand that your family has got to be concerned about her family. We’ve got to be concerned about each other … We need a country that belongs and a government that works for everybody … What a democracy means is that the future of this country rests in your hands and your hands and the hands of hundreds of millions of people. We cannot sit this one out. The future of the country is at stake. The future of the planet is at stake. We’ve got to stand up and we got to fight back.” (Quote here.)

If any of the above quotes resonate with you, then you might consider looking over what Senator Bernie Sanders stands for. Don’t brush off the policies and ideas he’s been advocating for decades — even when majority was against him — just because it was said by him. Another thing to consider when watching the debates is that Sen. Sanders is the only candidate that has fought for racial justice, unions, fixing wealth inequality, the working class, climate awareness, the LGBTQIA+ community, criminal justice reform and more. He has also condemned billionaires and the one percent his entire political career.

Consistency is important in politics and Sen. Sanders has done more than enough to prove that he is the candidate we can trust and rely on.

We can count on Bernie Sanders to turn America into an impoverished socialist hell hole. Bernie is a burned-out old hippie who has never run anything in his life except his mouth. He never earned a steady paycheck until he got elected to office in his 40s. Before that, he was most notable for getting kicked out of a commune by his fellow hippies for being too lazy. That’s right, he was too lazy even for hippies.

It sounds noble to say health care is a human right until you realize that you have to enslave people to provide it. It’s like saying cotton is a human right and driving the slaves to pick it to provide that right.

Government screws up most things it touches. Right now, government runs health care for our veterans and is screwing that up. It takes months for the vets to get an appointment with a doctor, after which their original appointment is cancelled and rescheduled for months in the future. Many vets have died waiting to see a doctor. And Bernie, the Big Dumb Socialist, wants you to give up your perfectly good health care for third rate government run healthcare.

If Bernie really wants to build a nation in which we all stand together as one people, he is in the wrong party. Democrats believe everyone who disagrees with them is a racist or Nazi or both. They believe that half the nation are deplorables who disagree with them for evil reasons. Neither Bernie nor the Democrats are unifiers, but dividers.

Bernie is in the wrong party for building a society of hope and compassion, not one of hate and vengeance. Democrats HATE anyone who disagrees with them. They want vengeance on Trump for winning the election. What was the Russian collusion hoax all about other than a campaign of hate and vengeance? And Bernie fully supported it.

The agri-business Bernie rails against are the very businesses that provide family farmers with the tools and seed to be extraordinarily productive.

The future of planet is not at stake in this election, despite Bernie’s wild bloviation. The planet will be fine no matter who wins this election. The Earth is indifferent to we puny humans.

It’s ridiculous to condemn billionaires who made their money providing the products and services we want. Oprah Winfrey has two billion bucks. How did she hurt anyone? She made her money creating a show people liked and selling advertising in it. What about Steve Jobs? Who was hurt by an Apple computer? Warren Buffett made his billions by spotting companies with good products which needed investment to grow. Howard Schultz, the creator of Starbucks, has four billion bucks. Who was harmed by his coffee? Only envious losers like Bernie begrudge the hardworking rich their billions. What has Bernie Sanders ever produced for the good of the people that matches the contributions of WInfrey, Jobs, Buffett, or Schultz?

This billionaires all made America a better, happier place, unlike Bernie, who is famously an office tyrant who abuses his staff and is always ranting like a crazy man about everything. His audience are numbskulls who like the idea of looting their fellow Americans so that they get something for nothing.