election1.jpg

Iowa State students fill out their ballots at the Union Drive Community Center on Nov. 8. UDCC is one of the many polling locations on campus. 

As Iowa bleeds Republican, the voter turnout results released by Story County reveal that 32,836 Ames voters made it out to cast their ballot as of 8 p.m. Tuesday.

With 8,966 Story County residents having cast their votes at their assigned precincts by 11 a.m. Tuesday, doors opened for polling locations at 7 a.m. and closed at 9 p.m.

Overall, Story County’s 43 voting precincts let in a total of 53,941 voters Tuesday, according to the county’s website.

This pulled a 78.12 percent voter turnout rate for the county, beating its 2012 general election turnout by 8.89 percent — a 6,726 voter difference from the 2012 General Election’s voter turnout, according to storycountyiowa.org.

With the turnout having increased, the total number of registered voters in Story County this election season also grew from the 2012 registered voter total of 68,203.

Story County's total number of registered voters topped off in the county this 2016 election at 69,062 registered voters, according to the county’s website.

The total number of satellite absentee voters in Story County — voters who cast their vote early because they are unable or unwilling to attend the official polling event — counted in at 5,534 absentee voters, according to the county’s website.

The precinct with the highest closing voter turnout this election at 8 p.m. was Ames Precinct 16 or Ames 4-1, with 1,249 votes.