Voting (Emily)

While politics is known to polarize people’s beliefs, it can also affect their feelings on politics in general. Election season not only throws people into the swing of politics but also increases feelings of dislike toward it.

In the eyes of John Guhin, junior in mathematics, this election has only secured the unfavorable nature of politics. But his adverse behavior toward politics didn’t start recently.

“What really distanced me from politics was the 2012 election,” Guhin said. “My mom would watch the same exact cable news station [MSNBC]. I realized this isn’t news, this is Fox News in different skin.”

Since then, Guhin, who identifies as an independent, has distanced himself from politics as much as he can. He has noticed both sides are moving further away from the center, which is problematic for Americans who consider themselves independents near the center.

Besides this problem, Guhin also believes politicians and politics are becoming more corrupt. He said politicians will only "cross the aisle" when it benefits them.

As for this election, Guhin said it has played no positive role in his view of politics — at all.

“Trump doesn’t represent most of the Republican Party, and I just don’t agree with Hillary,” he said. “I’m either voting for an idiot or a lady who doesn’t represent my views.”

Guhin also offered a solution to the two-party system in order to represent more parties during election season.

“Give each active political party an equal amount of money, and they can do whatever they want with [it],” he said. “People can’t fund their own campaign, and it’s fair that way.”

Olive McLean, junior in marketing, doesn’t see politics in as bad of a light. What she would change, however, is how involved and educated others are.

“I’ve always thought people aren’t educated enough on our political system,” McLean said. “People need to get out and vote, but they need to be more educated before they do.”

McLean, who prefers the term "progressive" rather than "Democrat," calling that label old, wishes people would dig deeper for facts rather than just looking at biased headlines.

She said she tries to educate herself on the "nitty gritty" of both sides before forming an opinion and encourages those around her to do so as well.

“It’s important to challenge one’s beliefs in order to strengthen those beliefs,” McLean said, explaining why she’ll push those close to her to elaborate on their beliefs.

McLean’s interest in politics stems from her grandfather, an archaeologist. Gaining a love of history from him, she soon learned that history and politics are often intertwined. She pointed out that people need to learn from history when dealing with politics in order to not repeat disastrous events.

McLean called the current election a "crazy political circus" but said she can’t see herself getting less involved in politics.

“I’m really interested to see where this is going,” McLean said. “And I’m always trying to stay involved in the process.”