Iowa State and United Way of Story County have been working together through the Live United campaign for years. This year, Iowa State has pledged to make a donation of $415,000. 

Fundraising efforts for the LIVE UNITED campaign are university-wide. For the 2014 campaign, Iowa State pledged to raise $350,000 and raised $393,151.92. There were about 375 faculty, staff and students from 18 ISU clubs, organizations and groups who participated in the Day of Caring in 2014. 

“It’s great that we can raise that large sum of money, but what that means is that it is invested in the areas of education, income and health by our board of directors,” said Kristin Pates, campaign director for United Way of Story County.

Iowa State is represented by students and faculty on the LIVE UNITED boards and committees. College of Business Dean David Spalding and Senior Vice President and Provost Jonathan Wickert are serving the LIVE UNITED campaigns this year. Wickert will serve as the campaign chair for the 2015 United Way of Story County LIVE UNITED annual campaign.

photo UWBANNER_zps64nff4qu.jpg

The 2015 campaign will kickoff Sept. 11. The Day of Caring will begin with a breakfast, where volunteers and participants will be served a hot and nutritious breakfast. After breakfast, volunteers are matched with companies or individuals that have a need for public service.

“It’s a way for our college and the university to help those in our community that need help … the college is proud to be a part of the campaign,” said Laura Wille, communications specialist and event coordinator for the College of Liberal Arts.

Many events are held on campus for students to participate and donate.

The College of Liberal Arts will provide an online auction, which will feature sports memorabilia signed by men's basketball coach Steve Prohm, women's basketball coach Bill Fennelly and head football coach Paul Rhoads.

Bake sales will be set up along popular walkways and outside of buildings. Penny wars have also been very popular with students in the past. Every effort helps raise money and awareness. 

“One way that students can participate is by stopping by that special event and just giving a dollar or two when they can, that would help to achieve the goal of $415,000, but then on the other side too, really build some awareness," said Sara Wilson, marketing director for United Way of Story County.