Rick Santorum.jpg

Former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., has decided to end his 2016 campaign for president, he announced Wednesday night during an interview on Fox News.

The 2012 Iowa Caucus winner also announced he was endorsing fellow GOP candidate Marco Rubio in the Republican race for president.

"It is time to coalesce around the strongest candidate who will stand up for conservative values, be a statesman on the world stage, and has the ability to win a general election," Santorum wrote in an email to supporters. "That is Marco Rubio."

Santorum has struggled from the beginning since launching another White House run this cycle. In 2012, he hit all 99 of Iowa's counties, which shot him to the top on Caucus night. He did the same in 2016, but did see the same level of support.

Besides Jim Gilmore, Santorum came in last in Monday's caucus, only bringing in about 1 percent of the vote.

Santorum's announcement comes less than a week before New Hampshire, which he was planning to skip. Instead, Santorum had announced stops in all 46 of South Carolina's counties, the third state in the primary season.