iowa state fair-12.jpg

Board of Regents President Bruce Rastetter is interviewed by KCCI's Eric Hanson during the annual Governor's Charity Steer Show at the Iowa State Fair Aug. 13. The money raised during the event goes to the Ronald McDonald House, an organization serving families of sick children who spend extended time in the hospital. 

Iowa Board of Regents president and agricultural business leader Bruce Rastetter met with "transition officials" this week, the Des Moines Register reported Wednesday.

Rastetter has been coined as one of President-elect Donald Trump's top picks for secretary of agriculture, a position still unfilled.

Jason Miller, a Trump spokesperson, told the Register, that Rastetter did meet with “transition officials” during the visit. No details of the visit were offered, however. 

Rastetter is one of several top Iowa leaders to be considered in Trump's cabinet, including Iowa Gov. Terry Branstand who was nominated as the U.S. Ambassador to China. 

Rumors also floated this past summer that U.S. Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) was reportedly on Trump's shortlist of possible vice presidential nominee choices.

The Register reported that a spokesman for Rastetter said that the ag leader was at Trump Tower "for lunch."