hillary clinton-38.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton pauses after stating several of her stances. "I have been standing up for women's rights all my life...we've seen changes, but not enough." Hillary Clinton spoke at an organizing event Tuesday, Jan. 12 at Benton Auditorium. 

Less than 12 hours after it was announced that Donald Trump would become the next president of the United States, Democratic rival Hillary Clinton gave her concession speech after postponing it to later in the morning.

With 279 electoral votes, Trump stunned America on Tuesday morning as the country slowly began to shift red with Clinton only reaching 228.

Delivering her remarks in New York, Clinton publicly conceded to now President-elect Trump, saying that "this is painful and it will be for a long time."

The Democratic presidential hopeful retained a smile throughout her speech, largely thanking the American people and her family for their endless support throughout the campaign.

"This loss hurts but please never stop believing that fighting for what's right is worth it," she said.

Clinton ultimately said that she hopes Trump will be a "successful president for all Americans."

"This is not the outcome that we wanted ... and I'm sorry that we did not win this election," Clinton said. 

Near the same time as Clinton's succession, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan spoke out on Trump's recent victory, calling it a "political feat" and remarking that Republicans will do their part to help heal a divided country.

"Donald Trump provided the kind of coattails that got a lot of people over the finish line," Ryan said.

In his victory speech last night, the business mogul turned president-elect immediately worked to bridge the gap of division that America may be feeling, saying he is going to "rebuild and renew the American dream."

"As I've said from the beginning, ours was not a campaign, but an incredible and great movement," he said.

And perhaps the highest political leader to provide a comment on the recent victory of Trump was President Barack Obama, who said during a speech Wednesday morning that the Obama White House is "rooting for his success in leading and unifying the country."

"Everybody is sad when their side loses an election," he said. "But we have to remember that we are all on the same team.

"We're Americans first. We're patriots first." 

Despite not immediately speaking after the election results were largely in early Wednesday morning, Clinton kept roughly to tradition by calling Trump and privately conceding. 

During his victory speech, Trump said this of the phone call:

"And I congratulated her and her family on a very, very, very hard fought campaign. She fought very hard. Hillary has worked very long and very hard over a long period of time. We owe her a major debt of gratitude for her work to our country."

Concluding her concession speech Wednesday morning, where Clinton stood with her family behind her — including former President Bill Clinton — Clinton thanked the women who have supported her.

"To all the women and especially the young women who put their faith in this campaign and in me, I want you to know that nothing has made me prouder than to be your champion. Now, I know, I know we have still not shattered that highest and hardest glass ceiling, but some day, someone will," she said.