Busy Philipps

Actress Busy Philipps meets with Hillary Clinton supporters outside the Agora on Oct. 17, 2016, just 21 days before Election Day.

The message of a politician can influence people of all different walks of life, even those with a celebrity status.

Actress Busy Philipps, most notable for her roles in "Freaks and Geeks" and "Cougar Town," was on campus Monday morning and afternoon in order to promote early voting and campaign for Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.

“I was really excited about the chance to come here and talk to people about the value of their vote here,” Philipps said.

Philipps said Iowans are lucky to live in a state where their vote holds much more weight on a national level than a place like her home in California, where it is already clear what the end result is going to be.

“I would say it’s a process, and this life is long, and you are in it for the long haul," Philipps said. “[If] you want to make change on real level, then you need to be able to play the game a little bit.”

Philipps further pushed that sitting out of this election or voting for a third-party candidate is not going to make any change happen. She believes it only wastes a vote and is just another vote for the opposing candidate.

Philipps has been heavily influenced by her mother, who has actively expressed to her how important it is to take part in the political process.

Philipps told a story about her mother going into a job interview, wanting to work in advertising.

The employer put his hand on her mother’s knee and told her she was too pretty for this kind of work and that she should focus on raising a family. Philipps said she believes that people take the progress America has made for granted and do not see that there are still steps that need to be taken in the direction of equality.

“You see a clear pattern of someone who has fought for women’s rights, has fought for children, has fought for people with disabilities, who has been so consistent in the face of really unspeakable bullying,” Philipps said.

Philipps admires the tenaciousness of Clinton and said she has faced her share of sexist comments and harsh criticism in the past 30 years she has spent in politics.

“What I want in the White House is a fighter, not a bully," Philipps said. "That to me is a distinction that is so important to make."

Affordable health care, a living minimum wage and job growth are among the issues that Philipps feels strongly Clinton will tackle if she is elected. She respects that Clinton, in her opinion, has always had a platform and has always spoken to the issues.

“I truly believe that our country deserves to get out of this much that we’re in right now and have a little bit of optimism," Philipps said. "I think our country deserves to be aspirational, and I think that it has been lost, especially in this election, but I don’t think it’s lost forever."

Philipps met with several Iowa State Democrats who were spending their morning outside of Parks Library promoting early voting. Jennifer Long, sophomore in history, was among the Clinton supporters.

“We really want to grab those millennials and get them out to vote because it is so important in our generation because this election is going to affect our generation most of all, and I think it’s really important that we all get our students out to vote,” Long said.

Philipps is one of several Clinton supports heading to battleground states such as Iowa. According to a Hillary for America site, congress members, activists and actors are going to those states to spread Clinton’s message that “women need someone who will fight for — not degrade — them in the White House.” 

Busy Philipps is among other actors as well as politicians and activists who are heading to swing states to show their support for Hillary Clinton.

peter jhon

It was thinking about whether I could utilize this review on my other site, I will interface it back to your site though.Great Thanks. gout yeast

peter jhon

Truly an incredible expansion. I have perused this magnificent post. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing data about it. I truly like that. Much obliged so parcel for your assemble. Spine & Rehab Center

peter jhon

This is an awesome motivating article.I am practically satisfied with your great work.You put truly extremely accommodating data. Keep it up. Continue blogging. Hoping to perusing your next post. i was reading this

Robin jack

Is it alright to post some portion of this on my site essentially present a hyperlink on this site page? resveratrol polyphenol

Robin jack

I read your website as often as possible and I just thought I'd say keep up the astonishing work! 500mg resveratrol

Robin jack

I discovered your this post while hunting down data about web journal related exploration ... It's a decent post .. continue posting and overhauling data. get the facts

Robin jack

It was thinking about whether I could utilize this review on my other site, I will connect it back to your site though.Great Thanks. recommended reading

peter jhon

Impressive web site, Distinguished feedback that I can tackle. Im moving forward and may apply to my current job as a pet sitter, which is very enjoyable, but I need to additional expand. Regards. more

link builder

We are preofessional SEO Worker, We have professional Team for Providing SEO services like : Link Building,Social book Marking and Video Submission etc. If you need any of these services please contact us : just visit my link DA PA Backlinks