Ag Summit

Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad delivers the first speech of the 2015 Ag Summit, which took place in Des Moines on March 7.

Texting while driving will become a primary offense in Iowa on July 1, 2017, under one of two pieces of legislation Gov. Terry Branstad signed into law Monday, according to the Des Moines Register.

Phone usage was previously considered a secondary offense, meaning officers needed another reason to stop a driver. Now, officers can pull over drivers solely for phone usage.

Under the new law, officers will now be able to pull over drivers they suspect of using their phone while behind the wheel, including "writing, sending or viewing an electronic message," according to Senate File 234.

Included in offendable phone usage is using the internet, social media, a game and some email functions.

The legislation allows for use of voice-operated and hands-free devices that can write, send and view electronic messages and only require hand usage to activate or deactivate the device.

Branstand also signed Senate File 444, which, in the case of homicide-by-vehicle, would allow a person's use of a cell phone while driving to be entered into evidence as reckless driving. This would allow offenders to be charged with a Class C felony and receive up to 10 years of jail time as well as a $10,000 fine.

Maggy McGary, freshman in history, sees the new law in a positive light, calling it a "really good idea" and saying she's happy about it.

McGary, despite thinking the legislation will reduce accidents, is sure that the only way people will stop using their phones while driving is when they are pulled over and receive tickets.

As far as 10 years of jail time for homicide-by-vehicle when using a cell phone, McGary thinks that might not even be enough.

"That's murder. That's vehicular manslaughter," she said. "If you murder them, you deserve more [than 10]."

McGary's passion for the legislation comes from personal experience. One of her friends has been the victim of three hit-and-runs, with at least one resulting from texting and driving. 

She said drinking and driving came into play for at least one of those as well. She hopes that the new legislation will bring forth more vigilance and responsibility when it comes to driving and the lives and health of others.

The other legislation that Branstad signed into law Monday adds a new punishment for drivers arrested or convicted of driving while intoxicated.

Following a similar South Dakota program in 2005 that saw a decrease in alcohol-related fatalities, Iowa's initiative will require arrested or convicted drivers to abstain from alcohol and controlled substances for a certain period of time and report for Breathalyzer tests twice a day.

Tests will be administrated at a centralized location. For those who are geographically unable to make it or if testing creates a documented hardship, an approved alternative method will be applied.

Drivers who pass the test can continue with their day, but those who fail may face up to 24 hours in jail.

The new pieces of legislation, which are both supported across the political spectrum, come after Branstad mentioned in January the rising number of fatalities on Iowa roads due to driver impairment such as texting and drinking while driving.

"Together, these two bills, which passed with strong bipartisan support, will make an impact on improving highway safety in our state," he said Monday.

Amanda Baird

Hundreds of new state laws go into effect Friday including a statewide texting-while-driving ban. But two other high-profile measures – one dealing with abortion, the other immigration – are currently blocked by federal injunctions, focusing on phone solution for small business. Hundreds of new state laws will go into effect Friday, including a statewide ban on texting while driving.

Porter Harper

I ride as a passenger in a car with my roommate about 5 times a week. She and I drive to work together, and this is my only mode of transportation to work. The trip is about 10-15 minutes in the car, along a main road that is pretty twisty. We also drive through a busy college campus. My problem is that she checks the email program on her phone she got from cell phone repair Midland TX, constantly while she drives - just refreshing the page. Her eyes are not on the road and I think this is dangerous.

Porter Harper

Aside from individual assignments, students should be aware of all other requirements that their particular online college has in order to graduate. Each student is assigned to an advisor or counselor at the beginning of their cell phone repair Midland TX career whose job is to guide students through the process of what needs to be done in order to graduate in a timely manner. Students should make a point to schedule a phone call or online meeting well ahead of graduation day to make sure that they have a clear understanding of what they need to do in order to participate in graduation activities and receive their diploma.

Dean Bruce

People who use their cell phones to talk or text while driving are by far the most common reason for distracted driving accidents. In fact, business phone systems Miami and the National Safety Council estimate that 26% of all car crashes involve cell phones. Ten percent of fatal crashes, 18 percent of injury crashes, and 16 percent of all police-reported motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2017 were reported as distraction-affected crashes.

Dean Bruce

Driving While Texting Is a Leading Cause of Car Accidents. When we think about negligence leading to car accidents, our first thought is usually drunk driving. But alcohol is not the only vice that can negatively influence a driver's ability to operate a vehicle in a safe and lawful manner, and everybody from receptionist service Hazard CA can agree on this, which is why I highly support Branstad's decision to sign the laws against operating smartphones while driving without an appropriate headset.

Level Eleven

If you are eating the right foods, your body will automatically take care of balancing energy requirements via proper hunger signaling to match your energy expenditure. Just eat when you are hungry, and stop eating when you are not hungry. You can also get fcc licensing san antonio if you want to be your own boss. Conversely, if you find that you need to count calories, you almost certainly are eating the wrong foods.