Campanile 7

The Campanile and the Carillon are frequently known as the “Bells of Iowa State.” Today the campanile stands tall with 50,000 bricks and 50 bells.

A man jumped from the third story of the Power Plant, landing on the railroad tracks, after walking away from Mary Greeley Medical Center, according to a City of Ames press release.

The man was a mental health patient at Mary Greeley Medical Center, according to the press release. 

The Ames Police Department received the report at 4:20 p.m. Saturday after the man was located by responding officers near Duff Avenue and Main Street.

The man ran eastbound onto the railroad tracks where he climbed a fence and entered a secured area at the Ames Power Plant located at 200 E. 5 Street.

According to the press release, the man suffered serious injuries from the jump after climbing up the Power Plant building by crawling up the ductwork and external stairs.

The Mary Greeley Medical Center treated the man and he was transported to a hospital in Des Moines. The name of the man is not being released awaiting the notification of his family members.

The investigation of the incident is ongoing by the Ames Police Department. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the Ames Police Department at 515-294-5133 or call the anonymous tip line at 515-239-5533.

The Crime Stoppers of Central Iowa can also be contacted at 515-223-1400. Anonymous tips can also be submitted online at www.crimestoppersofcentraliowa.com or via text by texting “PCCS” to 274637 (CRIMES) with a message.

Those with questions can contact Jason Tuttle, Ames Police commander, at 515-239-5312 or 515-239-5133.