state capitol stock

Amber Gustafson is running for Iowa Senate District 19 which includes Ankeny, Saylorville and Alleman. The Iowa Senate meets in the Iowa State Capitol Building in Des Moines.

The Iowa Legislature was set to adjourn Tuesday, the 100th day of the session, but will likely continue on into the week following a myriad of unfinished business.

Legislators, who don’t get paid overtime, typically only extend the session by a few days. As these legislators stop getting the money to pay for motels, meals and travel — $126 a day for Polk County Legislators and $168 for the rest — they tend to speed up their work and get things done.

Without a budget plan in sight, this year’s session may go on for much longer than expected. By Iowa law, the Legislature cannot adjourn until a budget is decided on and that can’t happen until the governor, Senate and House come to an agreement on next year's tax cuts.

Sen. Randy Feenstra, R-Hull, chair of the Senate Ways and Means Committee, said in regards to the tax cuts, “The Senate is looking to be here as long as it takes to make sure that Iowa taxpayers get what they deserve.”

The tax plans in both chambers are still far from a consensus. The House has proposed a plan to lower individual income taxes by $1.3 billion over the next five years while the Senate has proposed reducing state taxes on individuals and corporations by $2 billion.

Legislative Democrats are concerned with both plans, saying that either one would compromise public funded education and public safety measures. They warn it could lead to higher tuition costs at public universities, while lowering funding for K-12 education, public safety measures and health care.

Despite this opposition, it is almost certain that some form of tax cut will pass in the state before the end of this session.

The decision that the Legislature comes to will be crucial in setting next year's budget numbers. The current general fund, which holds all discretionary spending for the state, amounts to about $7.2 billion.

Next year’s fund, however, is undecided until the tax debate concludes and only school funding, set at $3.2 billion for next year, has been approved.

The Legislature has also proposed cutting multiple areas to allow for steady spending and simultaneous tax cuts. One cut they are considering would end the state’s “backfill” payments to counties for property taxes.

This payment was a result of a 2013 decision by the Legislature to cut commercial property taxes and cover lost revenues. This would amount to savings of $152.1 million annually but put more pressure on county budgets.

Iowa’s constitution requires the state to have a balanced budget at all times which has made it difficult now, and in the past, to set a budget plan. This has been especially the case in recent years as lower than projected revenue predictions have led to mid-year budget cuts in the state.

It isn’t just budget items that are holding back the Legislature from convening; there are three other bills that are currently being decided on before the Legislature is set to adjourn.

Senate File 2281, which would ban abortions if a doctor can detect a fetal heartbeat, has passed the Senate.

The House passed its own version of the bill and the two are waiting to come to an agreement on certain provisions. Though this is high on the Republican agenda — every Senate and House Republican supports the bills — it did not pass before the end of session.

Additionally, House File 2377, which would help combat opioid addiction in the state, is yet to be passed by the Senate. The bill would create a limit on opioid prescriptions, implement “Good Samaritan laws” for people who report overdoses and requires opioid prescriptions be filed electronically to prevent forgeries on paper prescriptions.  

The bill passed the House in February on a 98-0 vote and is supported by the governor and members of the Senate, but they are still finalizing the details before it passes.  

Amanda Baird

Shopping Cart Abandonment is referred to as the instance of online shoppers leaving your store without completing a purchase even after adding products to their virtual shopping carts. As per various arthritis treatment jacksonville fl studies, the average cart abandonment across e-commerce as an industry stands at a huge 75% i.e. every 3 out of 4 online shoppers abandon their shopping carts without completing a purchase. While there are a number of best practices online merchants can incorporate to optimize the checkout process and improve their conversion rates, cart abandonment will still remain as troublesome a pain-point. The only way to ensure that the loss of sales attributed to shopping cart abandonment is mitigated is by recovering them using powerful re-marketing techniques and retargeting tactics.

Amand Datoer

The RBI has asked banks to set at least five MCLR rates—overnight, one month, three month, six month and one year. Besides these, banks are free to set rates for longer durations as well. The glass installation dallas tx can be a better option for you. If you plan to take a floating rate home loan, your loan will now be linked to MCLR. Most banks have announced five to seven rates. Decal paper is the same material that is used in commercial printing, the advantage of laser printer instead of inkjet is that decals printed by laser printer don’t need any kind of varnish to cover the ink.