student reaction to mask mandate

The CDC released updated guidance Tuesday encouraging even those who are fully vaccinated to wear masks in areas of high or substantial transmission and in public indoors. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released new guidance for masks Tuesday based on high transmission rates across the country for COVID-19.

The CDC website states that to reduce the risk of being infected with the Delta variant of COVID-19 and possibly spreading it to others, vaccinated individuals should wear a mask indoors in public if they are in an area of substantial or high transmission. 

This advice is a change from the past guidance given by the CDC, which said Americans who were fully vaccinated could stop wearing face coverings. 

Nearly two-thirds of U.S. counties have high or substantial transmission of COVID-19, according to the most recent data from the CDC.

Story County is considered a county with a high level of community transmission, with 51.7 percent of the total population fully vaccinated and 55.1 percent with at least one dose of vaccines.

As with all other CDC COVID-19 guidance, it is most important that those who are not vaccinated, have a weakened immune system or are at an increased risk for severe disease due to age or an underlying medical condition wear masks. 

J. T.

Notice how they say two thirds of US counties have high transmission rates, but dont give you any numbers. They can classify any arbitrary rate as 'high' and try to scare you into what they want you to do. Covid has not even popped up in my conversations in the past month. Its over. Stop listening to the government and it will go away.