empty campus 1 (copy)

Iowa State has transitioned to online courses for the rest of the spring semester following spring break amid COVID-19 pandemic.

Editor's Note: This article will be updated as more information is released surrounding COVID-19 and the Iowa State community.

April 1: The Iowa Department of Public Health has been notified of 52 new positive COVID-19 Iowan cases along with two reported deaths. With the additional 52 cases, it brings the total of positive Iowa cases to 549. The two reported deaths were both elderly adults older than 81, one from Polk County and the other of Washington County.

March 31: The Iowa Department of Public Health has been notified of 73 new cases of COVID-19 in Iowa along with the death of an individual between the ages of 41 and 60 in Muscatine County.

Iowa State announced new employee leave policies in an email from President Wendy Wintersteen and Interim Vice President for University Human Resources Kristi Darr.

March 30: The Iowa Department of Public Health has been notified of 88 more positive cases of COVID-19, making a total of 424 positive cases in Iowa. Two more Iowans have passed away due to COVID-19 bringing the state's total to six.

March 29: The fourth Iowan diagnosed with COVID-19 died the night of March 27 in Linn County as the number of cases in the state rose by 38 to 336 total.

March 28: Iowa Department of Public Health has reported 64 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Iowa, bringing the total to 298 positive cases. A previously identified case in Black Hawk county was not from Iowa. There have been a total of 4,375 negative tests conducted, which includes testing reported by the State Hygienic Lab and other labs. 

March 27: The Iowa Department of Public Health has been informed of 56 more positive cases of COVID-19, making a total of 235 positive cases in the state. Two Iowans passed away due to COVID-19, bringing the state's total to three deaths.

Gov. Kim Reynolds office said the proclamation she signed March 26 suspending non-essential and elective medical procedures until April 16 includes surgical abortions.

March 26: The Iowa Department of Public Health has been informed of 34 more positive cases of COVID-19, making a total of 179 positive cases in the state.

According to Johns Hopkins University, the United States has overtaken China and Italy for the highest number of COVID-19 cases.

A $2 trillion dollar bipartisan stimulus bill named the CARES Act was signed by President Donald Trump, the largest stimulus bill in U.S. history, with the goal of addressing the ongoing economic decline due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

March 25: The Iowa Department of Public Health has been notified of 21 new positive cases of Iowans with COVID-19. This makes a total of 145 positive cases for the state.

March 24: The Iowa Department of Public Health said a person who tested positive for the disease caused by COVID-19 died March 24, the first death associated with the disease in the state.

March 22, 7:15 p.m.: President Wintersteen sent an email addressing Gov. Kim Reynolds’ recommendation for anyone who has traveled recently outside of Iowa to self-isolate.

March 22: The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) was notified of an additional 22 positive cases of COVID-19 in Iowa, bringing the state's total to 90 positive COVID-19 cases

March 21: The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) was notified of 23 more positive cases of COVID-19 in Iowa, including one in Story County, bringing Iowa's total to 68 positive COVID-19 cases.

March 20: Gov. Kim Reynolds signed an additional emergency proclamation that temporarily temporarily suspended the collection of property taxes and penalties and interests, evictions in certain circumstances, extended expiration deadlines for permits to acquire firearms, permitted the sale of carry-out, delivery or drive-through alcohol for unopened bottles for bars and restaurants and suspended some fees pertaining to that.

March 19: Iowa State’s Department of Residence and ISU Dining is working on the details of reimbursement, moving students out of residence halls and dining safety while practicing social distancing.

March 19: The border between United States Canada border will temporarily close to all but essential travel by the mutual consent of the American and Canadian governments due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

March 18, 4 p.m.: Virtual instruction for Iowa State classes will be extended through the end of spring semester, Iowa State President Wendy Wintersteen announced in an email. The May commencement ceremony has been cancelled, though staff are working to have a live-streamed graduation address available. 

March 18, 12:55 p.m.: The State of Iowa Board of Regents President Mike Richards declared the spread of COVID-19 a State of Emergency in Iowa’s public universities.

March 17, 7 p.m.: Iowa State's Memorial Union closed to the public until further notice.

March 17, 1:10 p.m.: ISU Dining announced in a tweet that all locations will be transitioning to carry-out service only immediately until March 31. 

March 17, 12:18 p.m.: The ISU Police Department (ISU PD) will be suspending its SafeRide services, ride-alongs and fingerprinting services due to growing concerns over COVID-19, according to a statement on Twitter this morning.

ISU PD will continue to have dispatchers answering phones and police officers responding to calls for service, according to the thread of tweets.

March 17, 10:52 a.m.: All theaters, gyms, casinos, senior centers and adult daycare facilities are ordered to close at noon on March 17 in Iowa, while all bars and restaurants were ordered to only serve food in a carry-out and drive-through capacity beginning at the same time according to a proclamation signed by Gov. Kim Reynolds.

March 17, 9:40 a.m.: While campus services like dining and housing will remain open, the university is closing several facilities including Parks Library, University Museums, and Rec Services. More closures can be found on Iowa State’s changes and closures page.

Iowa State is asking all campus employers to make flexible accommodations for employees to help reduce the transmission of COVID-19, said President Wendy Wintersteen in an email.  

March 14, 1:27 p.m.: All Iowa State university-related non-essential domestic travel has been prohibited until further notice, effective immediately, according to a statement from President Wendy Wintersteen.

March 13, 7:08 p.m.: In a press release issued Friday evening, Big 12 Senior Associate Commissioner Bob Burda announced that all spring sports will be canceled for the remainder of the academic year.

March 13, 4:43 p.m.: President Donald Trump declared a national emergency in response to COVID-19 this afternoon.

March 12, 5:32 p.m.: The university announced that all Iowa State events, activities and exhibitions, on or off campus, must be canceled, postponed or virtualized, effective Monday, March 16, and continuing through Saturday, April 4, 2020.

March 12, 3:19 p.m.: NCAA President Mark Emmert announced the inevitable news Thursday afternoon that the NCAA would be canceling all remaining winter and spring postseason tournaments.

March 12, 10:54 a.m.: A day after NCAA president Mark Emmert announced that all NCAA postseason tournaments will be held without fans, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby announced at an 11 a.m. press conference on Thursday that the Big 12 will cancel its postseason basketball tournaments completely

March 11, 4:38 p.m.:  Iowa State gymnastics has decided that the meet Friday against Air Force will be restricted to families and key essential staff.

March 11, 1:52 p.m.: All Iowa State classes will move online beginning March 23 and will continue through April 3, according to a statement from President Wendy Wintersteen.

March 10, 6:31 p.m.: The office of Gov. Kim Reynolds announced in a press release Tuesday there are an additional five cases of COVID-19 in Johnson County. All of the individuals who are "presumptive positive" cases are between the ages of 61 and 80 and were also on the cruise in Egypt as the seven other Johnson County cases.

March 9, 6:11 p.m.: Gov. Kim Reynolds signed a disaster proclamation and announced another five “presumptive positive” cases of COVID-19 in Iowa late Monday, bringing the total of presumptive cases in the state to eight.

March 8, 6:25 p.m.: There are three “presumptive positive” cases of COVID-19 in Iowa. The governor said all three cases are Johnson County residents and all are currently in self-isolation.

March 4, 5:01 p.m.: Iowa State suspended spring break study abroad programs Wednesday for Africa, Asia and Europe because of the COVID-19 threats.

Feb. 29, 2:15 p.m.: Students studying abroad in Italy are set to return to the U.S. earlier than expected as Iowa State has prohibited all travel to Italy in response to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warning which recommends travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Italy.

An email from Jennifer Hogan, program coordinator for design administration, informed some of those studying abroad that they need to depart from Italy by March 6 but are recommended to leave Italy as soon as possible.

Jan 28. 12:11 p.m.: President Wendy Wintersteen responded to the ongoing-novel coronavirus outbreak by sending an email to the Iowa State community that said the university is prohibiting travel to China by students and employees until it is safe to do so.