Kappa Delta sorority hosted its KD Klassic, a golf tournament to raise money for its philanthropy. 

All the proceeds raised in the tournament will go toward preventing child abuse. Roughly 80 percent will go to Prevent Child Abuse Iowa, with the remaining 20 percent going to Prevent Child Abuse America. 

On Saturday, Sept. 28, ISU students and members of the Ames community met at Veenker Memorial Golf Course for the Klassic. 

The event cost $65 for adults, $55 for students or $50 for students who signed up as a group of four. This price included 18 holes of golf, a cart, snack bag, prizes and a meal at the end of the event.

Kappa Delta raised $3,400 from the event. 

Prevent Child Abuse Iowa gives parents resources to be more involved with their children and offers them helpful workshops, said Ashley Beers, junior in speech communication and member of Kappa Delta.

Prevent Child Abuse Iowa helps fund programs in the state like providing youth shelters and other different programs across the state, said Molly McCarthy, vice president of community service of Kappa Delta. 

Despite the rain, 37 participants teed off at 1 p.m. 

The adult winners received two free night stays at the Hyatt Place in Des Moines, while the student winners received a home cooked meal by the members of Kappa Delta. 

Other prizes given were from stores such as Raygun, The Café, Black Market Pizza, Casey’s General Store, Vera Bradley and more. 

Kappa Delta plans on continuing this event in future years, McCarthy said.

“I feel like it's something different going on, not typical run of the mill philanthropy event," McCarthy said. 

Students and adults were able to play golf while also benefiting their community. 

"It’s a good cause and makes people feel better," said Pauline Zielinski, freshman in event management and member of Kappa Delta. “[It] shows what kind of people you are”. 

Many sororities and fraternities like Kappa Delta organize similar philanthropies to give back to the Ames community.

“It’s a great way to give back,” said Christina Pfohl, sophomore in marketing and member of Kappa Delta. “Preventing the problem is the most important step in raising awareness and making sure abuse never happens in the first place."

Children develop their habits and learn who they are at an early age, that is why it is so important to prevent child abuse, Pfohl said. 

Philanthropy events are ways for students to give back and become more involved in their community.

It is especially important at a young age to know that there are a lot of people who are not as fortunate as you are, said Ruth Boehmer, a participant in the Klassic.

Kappa Delta hopes to make their KD Klassic an annual philanthropic event. 

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.