While all faculty, staff and students at Iowa's public universities are suffering from state budget cuts, adjunct professors are taking a particularly hard hit with decreased funding.

Adjunct professors, or faculty who are employed on a contingent basis, differ from tenured professors in that their positions are usually not as stable, with their contracts needing to be renewed annually in some cases. Contingent faculty are expected to spend most of their time teaching, since they typically do not have the research, grant proposal and outreach duties of tenured faculty.

But the limited state budget, combined with the shortage of available tenure positions, means contingent faculty members are often working harder than their pay suggests.

Mack Shelley, professor of statistics and political science, said universities increased their reliability on contingent faculty in the late ‘70s when many tenure tracks became unavailable due to the positions that were already filled. Now, even with the overall decline of faculty, contingent faculty is still on the rise. Hiring contingent faculty is easier, less expensive and less risky than investing in a tenure track-eligible candidate.

“The economics of it are almost irresistible from an administrator’s point of view,” Shelley said.

Shelley went on to acknowledge that while adjunct professors and lecturers are equally qualified to teach as tenured faculty, their potential temporary status could affect students’ educational experiences.

“What [departments] really want is more tenure-track positions ... because that provides solidity and stability,” Shelley said. “Arguably, that would benefit the students as well.”

Kathleen Waggoner, adjunct associate professor of sociology and political science, has had a unique experience as a contingent faculty member.

Waggoner has been employed at Iowa State for more than 30 years. After an injury in 1995 leading to a condition called reflex sympathetic dystrophy, Waggoner was forced to reduce her employment to part-time. Despite her five degrees, publications and grant proposals, Waggoner is earning a fraction of what she earned as a full-time adjunct professor in civil and construction engineering before her accident.

While Waggoner admits having a larger paycheck would be ideal, she believes she has been treated fairly and is not bitter about what happened.

“Budget constraints being what they are, the university is doing what it can with the limited resources it has,” Waggoner said.

Waggoner said she doesn’t understand why many people attach a negative connotation to the word “adjunct.” Without trivializing the rigorous process of the tenure-track, she said she has created her own rigor in the classroom. Waggoner remains an adjunct professor because she loves teaching.

“I will keep doing it until I feel I no longer make a contribution,” Waggoner said.

Even with today’s shaky economy and her contingent faculty position, Waggoner said she is not worried about job security. As long as she keeps doing her job and there is a need for her position, she feels the university will keep her employed.

While Waggoner is satisfied with her adjunct experience, Shelley said the lack of support for higher education is a problem. He said the increased reliance on contingent faculty can be correlated to “budgetary uncertainty.”

“There has to be ... a social betterment commitment ... to try to make sure that there is continued support for higher education,” Shelley said.

Alan Trevithick

Good article. I'd suggest, though, that some things be made more plain. For instance, "Adjunct professors, or faculty who are employed on a contingent basis," do indeed differ from tenured professors, but it's not really so that " their positions are usually not as stable." The positions of adjunt/contingent faculty--who over four decades now have replaced tenured or tenure track faculty as the majority higher education faculty--are NEVER as "stable." Also, adcon wages, per class, are usually about 1/3 or less than for (increasingly rare) "regular faculty," and benefits are few or non-existent. Thanks for the article, and keep your eye in this national issue. Alan Trevithick, New Faculty Majority. http://newfacultymajority.info/equity/

linker seo

Wonderful, just what a blog it is! This blog has provided the helpful data to us continue the good work. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you.betcrazy.co.uk

linker seo

5 skills students need to futureproof their careers Masters Degree

naeem khatri

Add More Value to Your Career: 5 Tips to Increase Your Income Course of Study

jaden smith

A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up
greatpaper.co.uk

nvdnjn cnjcxn

Careers in the Music Industry for MBA Graduates Course of Study

jaden smith

How To Become Data Analyst
Course of Study

linker seo

We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Great work. gigolo fermo

linker seo

This article was made by a honest to goodness theory writer. I agree a weighty segment of the with the solid concentrations made by the writer. I'll be back. API for IoT developers

linker seo

Truly inspired! Everything is exceptionally open and clear illumination of issues. It contains really certainties. Your site is exceptionally profitable. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing. sur pied plafonniers

linker seo

Peymans is a devoted supplier of extravagance adjusted convenience accessible for here and now lets and rentals. Holiday homes

linker seo

the most remarkable understudies, this is extreme. For whatever is left of us, it can be a deep rooted challenge that can prompt genuine scholastic battles. canvas utk

linker seo

The PPRO8 exchanging framework was planned with awesome adaptability so every one of the 137 electronic securities exchanges could be brought into the framework. Day Trading Software

linker seo

We create a conduit that effortlessly blends manufacturing, public relations, branding, packaging, marketing, product development, product management, and digital media into one fluid channel. media maison

linker seo

Natural Mattress Matters specializes in organic mattresses and organic furniture. Our European Mattress selection are one of the best in the bedding industry. eco friendly mattress

linker seo

At Data Recovery Pro we specialise in the recovery of computer storage devices in South Africa. Server Data Recovery

linker seo

Scotland is one of the most beautiful places on the earth and it is a perfect location to visit during your vacations. If you want to experience the true beauty of this country, you should make a trip during the season of autumn. best hotel booking site

linker seo

Took me time to understand all of the comments, but I seriously enjoyed the write-up. It proved being really helpful to me and Im positive to all of the commenters right here! voyance telephone gratuite

linker seo

The House of Blackheads was built in 134 and was constructed to conduct various social meetings in Riga. This place also works wonders for celebrations. baltic adventure