Drivers in Ames need to watch their speedometer more closely Jan. 25, while Ames Police Department — along with the Central Iowa Traffic Safety Task Force — increases traffic enforcement around Ames.

Officers will be looking for drivers who are speeding, not wearing their seat belts and those driving under the influence.

Geoff Huff, Ames Police investigations commander, said that during traffic enforcement projects, officers focus on areas of high traffic where there have been many accidents or DUI arrests in the past.

“In general, we found if we’ve done targeted traffic enforcement, especially in high traffic areas, that [enforcement] can reduce the number of accidents we’ve had,” Huff said.

These targeted areas in Ames are streets like Lincoln Way, Grand Avenue and South Duff Avenue.

Officers will be looking for telltale signs of drivers under the influence, such as crossing the center line, weaving in a lane and not responding properly to traffic signals. In addition to speeding and DUIs, Huff said officers will also be looking for drivers who are improperly wearing their seat belts or not wearing a seat belt at all.

“A lot of times, [officers are] looking for that belt coming over the shoulder, and visually, they’re looking to see if they can see your seat belt on," Huff said. "The way the Iowa law is written, you have to not only be wearing it, but wearing it correctly. Putting the strap under your arm is a violation, as well.”