Black Lives Matter: Say Their Names

A Black Lives Matter protest and march in West Des Moines, Iowa, following the killing of George Floyd by former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin.

As students return to campus, the Ames Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement will kick off a series of events. 

“Occupying space,” will take place at 7 p.m. Sunday at the Fountain of the Four Seasons at the Memorial Union. Before the protest begins, the leaders will speak on protester safety and announce the route. This will be the first reading of the Ames BLM mission statement and the actionable steps the group hopes to achieve within this next year.

The group will also discuss President Wendy Wintersteen’s actions addressing the changes the student population has brought and her recent 10 percent pay cut

Additionally, Ames BLM will kick of a series of events the first week of school to build engagement in activism at a “major” level, according to its Instagram post.  

• Know Your Rights Training will be on-campus from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday

• The bi-weekly Supply Drive will be held from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m on Wednesday

• Candlelight Vigil at 8:30 p.m. on Thursday

• Combined Protest + Block Party will begin at 5 p.m. on Friday

• Holistic Healing event centered around mental health and movement from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Aug. 22

All locations will be announced after Sunday’s protest.

“Show up for the Black community next week and EVERY week,” Ames BLM wrote in an Instagram post. “We understand that life will get busy as classes and work begins again, but there must always be time to engage, advocate, and fight for change — to let Ames know that we are here to stay.”

Brian Mcdonough

ISU Daily, please do continue early and often to arouse the animosity of Steve Gregg with articles like this. It truly is a journalistic joy that you Iowans so easily can taunt and trigger the pathological petulance of his distemper at your midwest betrayal. It is a gift that Steve keeps on giving: when he rabidly exposes in writing his daily displays of the virulent acrimony of his mind. So sweet, ISU Daily, so seriously sweet.