Movies can be the perfect amount of time needed to take a break between finals.

Tiana

Tiana in "The Princess and the Frog."

Disney movies

This may seem like an obvious choice, but that’s for a good reason. Disney movies have been making people smile since 1938 when the first feature-length Disney movie, “Snow White” was released.

Luckily in modern times, viewers don’t need to rely on going to the theater, pirating movies or sorting through collections of limited-offered tapes or CD’s to watch Disney movies.

The wide assortment of movies, shorts and TV shows available on Disney+ is more than suffice for when viewers need a family-friendly break from the stress of finals.

Princess films such as “Snow White,” “Frozen” (2013), “Tangled” (2011) or “The Princess and the Frog” are all fun musicals to sing along with after a long test.

The Hangover

Most of the main cast in "The Hangover."

Classic movies

Sometimes returning to what viewers know is good can be the most comforting choice after a stressful day of test taking.

These movies can range in genre, from dramas like “The Shawshank Redemption,” action films such as the “Mission Impossible” or “Jason Bourne” series or comedies like “Napoleon Dynamite” or “The Hangover.”

These types of films are where viewers can choose what they like without having to please other people at a watch party. Taking the time to watch a classic where the ending never changes can be just as therapeutic as trying something new.

Sub Zero

Sub-Zero as he appears in "Mortal Kombat" (2021).

New movies

On the flip side of this logic, trying something new can be both fun and a learning experience. While learning is the last thing one might want to do on a break from finals, discovering something new one likes is anything but academic learning.

While the COVID-19 pandemic has slowed down the release of most films, new ones have still been released. Those who want to feel nostalgic might turn to the new “Mortal Kombat” film. Anyone wanting to experience what all the Oscars buzz is about can check out best picture winner “Nomadland.”