This quick and easy pasta is a healthy meal option. Try it vegetarian or add in some chicken. Either way, it will taste great. Recipe adapted from Greatist.
- 1 medium-sized ripe avocado, pitted
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and lemon zest to garnish
- 2-3 garlic cloves, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces of pasta, but choose whole-wheat pasta for a healthier option
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, optional
- shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Cut chicken breast into strips and place in saucepan with a little water. Heat until cooked thoroughly. For vegetarian dish, skip this step.
2. While the chicken is cooking, boil water in medium-sized pot. Add pasta and cook to al dente, approximately 8-10 minutes.
3. Create the sauce by placing garlic cloves, lemon juice and olive oil in food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Add the pitted avocado, basil and salt and blend until smooth and creamy.
4. When pasta is finished, drain and rinse it in a strainer. Place pasta in a large bowl and pour sauce over it. Toss until combined. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Add shredded Parmesan if desired. Serve immediately.