Monounsaturated fats benefit studies

Consuming more monounsaturated fats helps with treatment and prevention of cognitive disorders. These fats increase the release of acetylcholine, which helps with memory.

It may not help your eating habits this round of finals but it could this coming spring. According to the Journal of Neurochemistry, monounsaturated fats can increase brain activity and benefit your studies. It won’t happen overnight, but altering the types of fat in your diet can be more beneficial than you think.

Consuming more monounsaturated fats can help in the treatment and prevention of cognitive disorders. It was found that monounsaturated fats can have positive effects on the electrical properties of cells within the brain that are critical for learning and memory.

Monounsaturated fats lead to an increase in the production and release of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Acetylcholine plays a critical role in learning and memory. When this neurotransmitter decreases or ceases in functioning the brain and memory experience problems that are often associated with Alzheimer’s.

How to incorporate monounsaturated fats in your diet:

Use olive oil instead of butter.

Replace mayonnaise with smashed avocado.

Dip fruits and vegetables in peanut butter instead of other fatty dips.

Peanuts, almonds and macadamia nuts are a good snack when you are on the go.

Olives are a great topping for pizza, pasta and salad.

Switch out your milk chocolate for a more decadent dark chocolate.