City Council meeting (9).jpg

Iowa State freshman Jacob Schrader addresses the the City Counsel Nov. 14. regarding the city council's decision pertaining to limiting occupancy in rental units.

A petition sent out by the Inter-Residence Hall Association, or IRHA, has been signed by over 1,000 Iowa State community members. 

The petition, which will be shown to the Ames City Council at their Nov. 28 meeting, is to speak out against proposed housing restrictions which in the email where called discriminatory towards students. 

IRHA email

IRHA sent out an email asking students to sign a petition against the proposed housing ordinance. The petition will be shown to the Ames City Council at their Nov. 28 meeting. 

The City Council motioned for the housing ordinance to limit one and two bedroom homes to three people and to have three, four and five bedroom homes to have equal occupants to the number of bedrooms. 

The total cap is set at five people who can rent a single home. In a six-bedroom house, no more than five unrelated people can occupy it.

Additionally, the council motioned to include restrictions based on parking spaces. 

One, two and three bedroom houses are required to have two off-street parking spaces. Houses with four rooms or above must have parking spaces equal to the number of bedrooms. 

A five-bedroom house with four parking spots, cannot rent to more than four people. 

The email also addresses concerns based off how students were treated. 

"At the last City Council meeting:
  • Concerns raised by students were treated rudely or ignored
  • Changes were made FURTHER limiting occupancy
  • A Neighborhood Association in favor of these regulations were treated much more seriously than students," the email stated. 

To participate in the petition, people must go to https://www.stugov.iastate.edu/sign/housing/ where they must provide their name and email. 

Porter Harper

I would like to take my landlord, really a management company, to housing court because I haven't had heat for ten days and counting and hot water for five, and I would like a rent abatement for the days of this month in which my apartment was not inhabitable. Not to mention that I have to get rid of my timeshare. Have you taken someone to housing court in NYC? Please tell me your experiences and any advice you have.