IMG_2023.jpg

Junior Sami Williams hits a solo home run to center field during the third inning of Iowa State's loss to Texas Tech. Iowa State lost to Texas Tech 8-4 on March 31, dropping their record to 18-15 overall and 1-5 in Big 12 play. 

The Iowa State softball team fell short against the Memphis Tigers, losing 6-4 on Thursday.

Senior Sami Williams hit a home run in the game over the center field wall, bringing in freshman Carli Spelhaug and giving the Cyclones a 2-0 lead. 

Freshmen Karlie Charles and Ellie Spelhaug made their collegiate debuts on the mound for the Cyclones.

In the top of the third inning, Charles gave up a solo home run to the Tigers, which cut the Cyclone lead in half.

Charles pitched four innings, giving up eight hits and three runs.

Ellie Spelhaug closed out for the Cyclones, pitching two innings, giving up two hits and two runs. 

Trailing 6-2, in the bottom of the seventh inning, Williams hit a double to right field. The Cyclones scored two runs from Hannah Carter and Bryn Hanrahan, leaving Ramos on third and unable to score. 

The Cyclones will continue the series Friday, playing Northern Colorado at 4 p.m. and Hawaii at 9 p.m.