Martin O'Malley 10-2 008.jpg

Former Governor of Maryland Martin O'Malley speaks about his perceived shortcomings of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump's debate performance on Oct. 2 in Ankeny, Iowa. In talking with volunteers, O'Malley spoke about the importance of early voting, the differences between Clinton and Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, and how important the upcoming election is for the future of the United States.

ANKENY, Iowa — Martin O'Malley, once a rival to Hillary Clinton who campaigned aggressively in Iowa, was back in the state on Sunday to urge support for the Democratic nominee during an event in Ankeny.

O’Malley, the former governor of Maryland, spoke to show his support for Clinton and reiterate his disapproval of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

“There’s no doubt in my mind where young people stand in this election," O’Malley said. "It’s a choice between freedom and fascism. Hillary Clinton is for the freedom of our nation."

O’Malley said Trump would be an unfitting president due to a report in The New York Times that showed Trump reporting a loss of over $900 million in the 90s. The move would have allowed Trump to avoid taxes for almost two-decades, according to the Times.

Martin O'Malley 10-2 009.jpg

Former Governor of Maryland Martin O'Malley poses for a picture with a volunteer working for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign on Oct. 2 in Ankeny, Iowa. In talking with volunteers, O'Malley spoke about the importance of early voting, the differences between Clinton and Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, and how important the upcoming election is for the future of the United States.

O'Malley also praised Clinton's overall preparedness during the presidential debate last week.

“Hillary Clinton was ready,” O'Malley said. “She had a mastery of the issues, she understood the arguments of her policy case, she was steady and energetic--never stumbling once in the debate--and she showed that she’s ready to become commander and chief.”

After speaking about her performance during the debate, O’Malley made it a point to mention to young Democrats that it’s important to vote. 

“Any young people who would think for a second about sitting this election out — they might as well go and vote for Donald Trump,” O’Malley said.

Martin O'Malley 10-2 003.jpg

Former Governor of Maryland Martin O'Malley smiles while being interviewed by local new stations on Oct. 2 in Ankeny, Iowa. While being interviewed, O'Malley stated Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump's claim of not paying any income tax was "outrageous" and also said a vote for the Green Party or the Libertarian Party "is a vote for Trump".

He said Clinton is the future of America and that to sit out of the election is to vote for the downfall of the country. O'Malley and organizers continue to push for early voting, but stressed how they believe it is important for everyone to get out and vote up to Election Day in November.

“People started voting on the 29th. There are 5 weeks left. This is it," said Alex Songer, a member of Iowa Together. "If there is a time to start helping it is now. We need every person in this room to step up and help us knock [on] doors, help us get those ballots, and help us get Hillary Clinton and Democrats up and down the ballot elected into office.”

O’Malley showed his support for Clinton’s ability to continue the growth that President Obama achieved during his administration, as well as her plans to build the economy. 

Martin O'Malley 10-2 004.jpg

Former Governor of Maryland Martin O'Malley answers questions while being interviewed on Oct. 2 in Ankeny, Iowa. While being interviewed, O'Malley stated Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump's claim of not paying any income tax was "outrageous" and also said a vote for the Green Party or the Libertarian Party "is a vote for Trump".

O’Malley also made a point to mention that Clinton's position on affordable college. He said she knows that it is crucial for workers in this country to have an education in order to earn a decent wage.

“What I’m proud to support in Hillary Clinton’s candidacy is the belief that our economy is not money. It’s people,” O'Malley said. 

O'Malley was one of five Democrats in the primary. Another former opponent of Clinton, Sen. Bernie Sanders, will campaign on her behalf Wednesday at an event at Drake University in Des Moines.