leslieodomjr22.jpg

Leslie Odom Jr., famously known for his role as Aaron Burr in the Broadway musical Hamilton, answers audience questions submitted on Twitter during the lecture “Hamilton and the Road to Success” at the Stephens Auditorium on March 29.

When Leslie Odom Jr. walked into the dimly-lit waiting room in Stephens Auditorium, all of the energy in the room turned to him, but he returned it with a warm smile and handshake.

During the afternoon before his lecture, he was calm, collected and ready to speak to an audience that he had an affinity for: college students.

leslieodomjr15.jpg

Leslie Odom Jr., famously known for his role as Aaron Burr in the Broadway musical Hamilton, sang “Wait for It”, “Dear Theodosia” and “The Room Where It Happens” from Hamilton while at the Stephens Auditorium on Mar. 29 for the lecture "Hamilton and the Road to Success" where Odom discussed his career, sang, and answered audience questions. He also sang one of his favorite songs from the Broadway musical Rent “Without You”.

“I had a wonderful time, had wonderful teachers,” Odom said of his college experience at Carnegie Mellon University. “I look back fondly at it.”

The dialogue with students when visiting college campuses is one of the main reasons why Odom chose to do a lecture tour, which has included stops at the University of Iowa and DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. He recalled the visitors to his university and how their inspiration and insight influenced him to offer the same sort of wisdom to college students today.

Odom’s lecture, Hamilton and the Road to Success: In Words and Music, is “an offering, made with love,” he said, delving into his time in the Tony Award winning musical, "Hamilton," and how he got to where he is today.

leslie odom jr portrait.jpg

Tony-award winning Leslie Odom Jr. visited Iowa State March 29, 2017.

Odom played the role of Aaron Burr, vice president under Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton’s confidante turned nemesis. The play revolved around how men with different ideologies managed to come together to create the United States. The show has since become a cultural phenomenon, and Odom has always held the show close to his heart, wanting to do it justice every time he stepped out onstage.

“Hamilton felt like a dear friend to me," Odom said. "How do you introduce a dear friend to the world?” 

leslieodomjr12.jpg

One of the main concepts behind "Hamilton" is the idea that people with vastly different backgrounds and feelings can come together and create something that matters, such as the United States of America.

“If you can agree on the ending point, if you agree on destination, you can appeal to your higher self and come to the negotiating table,” Odom said.

The idea behind building a nation was applied to building a show like "Hamilton," where the cast was able to connect on a mission and reach its destination when united behind the words of the show’s creator, Lin-Manuel Miranda, whom Odom worked with previously on another Broadway show: Tick, Tick...Boom!

“As a company, Lin had written the constitution of the play and given us our ethos, our Declaration of Independence," Odom said. "If anything got too far off, we could rally, but you were set free to make the boldest, most exciting choices."

leslieodomjr10.jpg

Odom described all aspects of the musical as things he could relate to and “understand on a DNA level,” but his biggest challenge was understanding his role as Burr and the expectations set for someone playing a role as unique as his.

“Dealing with the worthiness," Odom said. "What Lin (Manuel Miranda) had put down was extraordinary, and this should be somebody excellent — am I worthy enough to be Aaron Burr?” 

Odom said that while every step of the process was crucial, the focus involved during performance was what drove him to push himself during every show.

“For better or for worse, I wasn’t allowed to get carried away — I had a job to do," Odom said. "There was never a day that I got to say, ‘We did it,’ and kick back. You have to earn the applause every time you step out onstage."

leslieodomjr18.jpg

Ideally, Odom did not see himself departing "Hamilton" when he did, but he realized that he had tools that he had yet to utilize in his career and in his life. After his departure from the show, Odom released a Christmas album, started recording with a band and started speaking at events like the college lectures.

“There are lots of tools for exploration but not enough for navigation,” Odom said. “It was time to discover.”

leslieodomjr20.jpg

Leslie Odom Jr., famously known for his role as Aaron Burr in the Broadway musical Hamilton, took audience questions at the end of his lecture “Hamilton and the Road to Success” at the Stephens Auditorium on Mar. 29. When asked about politics, Odom referenced the Mike Pence incident from November 2016 when Brandon Victor Dixon, who also plays Aaron Burr, confronted Pence while at a Hamilton show saying “We, sir — we — are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights. We truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us.” “To be honest, I don’t think I would have gave that curtain speech,” Odom said. “What was I going to say to them that was more profound than Hamilton, that would lodge itself into their spirit and psyche, that was more than this three-hour experience they just sat through. The saddest thing in the world for me is if Hamilton became a partisan show.”

In terms of his lecture, Odom hoped to share aspects of his own story to inspire young people, offer advice and express what he wished someone could have said to him during his college years.

“I hope that [students] get a little inspired," he said. "I always hope for them to be taking in the world around them. We have to be artists of our time and creators in our time."

Odom hopes each student can discover their direction as well.

"This is our world — take it in, add what’s missing," Odom said. "There is a hole that’s meant for you, and only you can fill it, so get busy.”

army comp

Awesome article with brilliant idea!Thank you for such a profitable article. I truly acknowledge for this awesome data.. xmodgames apk

CAMERON Fernandez

Undoubtedly this is a phenomenal post I got a considerable measure of learning subsequent to perusing good fortunes. Subject of online journal is astounding there is just about everything to peruse, Brilliant post. Hero Instinct

army comp

Much obliged to you again for all the information you distribute,Good post. I was exceptionally keen on the article, it's entirely rousing I ought to concede. I like going to you site since I generally run over fascinating articles like this one.Great Job, I incredibly acknowledge that.Do Keep sharing! Respects, local internet marketing services

CAMERON Fernandez

I truly like you're composing style, awesome data, thankyou for posting. Love Commands Review

Robin jack

I just couldn't leave your site before letting you know that I genuinely delighted in the top quality data you present to your guests? Will be back again as often as possible to determine the status of new posts. Make Women Want You

CAMERON Fernandez

Being that hot Prints is clearly a good sized band, they bonk use of over a hundred numerous styles of manufacturing, so you can hot Printse cautious to revel in just what you're sensing for. cheapest brochure printing usa

Nath Pradeep

Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. Delhi Goa Packages

khan xada

Exceptionally fascinating web journal. Alot of websites I see nowadays don't generally give anything that I'm occupied with, however I'm most definately keen on this one. Recently believed that I would post and let you know.
I Love You Quotes

CAMERON Fernandez

I welcomed your work exceptionally thanks Save My Marriage

khan xada

I welcomed your work exceptionally thanks
Questions To Ask A Guy Over Text

CAMERON Fernandez

Just try to specify ones substance can be as unimaginable. This clarity with your post is heavenly and that i may believe you're a master for this issue. High caliber alongside your agree license me to grab your present provide for keep adjusted by utilizing drawing closer blog entry. Much appreciated many alongside you ought to go on the pleasurable take care of business. How To Kiss A Man To Make Him Fall In Love

CAMERON Fernandez

A debt of gratitude is in order for another great post. Where else might anybody be able to get that sort of information in such a perfect method for composing? Kissing Magic

CAMERON Fernandez

Your music is astounding. You have some extremely capable specialists. I wish you the best of accomplishment. Kissing Magic Review

wiki alex

Fabulous web journal! Do you have any tips and clues for trying essayists? I'm wanting to begin my own particular site soon however I'm somewhat lost on everything. Would you propose beginning with a free stage like WordPress or go for a paid alternative? There are such a large number of choices out there that I'm totally overpowered .. Any proposals? Much obliged! minecraft premium netflix free account