• May 6, 2015

Excessive heat warning issued for Ames until Saturday morning

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:48 pm | Updated: 3:13 pm, Fri Jul 6, 2012.

(Updated 3:06 p.m. July 6):

The National Weather Service of Des Moines extended the excessive heat warning for Ames until 7 p.m. Saturday.

The service reported Iowa will, however, find relief from the heat on Saturday when a cool front slowly sweeps across the state. It said parts of Central and Southeastern Iowa will not experience lower temperatures until late in the day. 

(Updated 12:33 p.m. July 6):

The National Weather Service of Des Moines reported that today, July 6, will be the hottest day this week, with temperatures reaching one or two degrees more than Thursday. 

The National Weather Service in Des Moines has issued an excessive heat warning for Ames until 7 a.m. Saturday.

According to the service, hot and humid air will remain in Central Iowa into early Saturday morning. It said warm conditions will remain even through overnight hours. 

An excessive heat warning is described by the service as a prolonged period of dangerously hot temperatures. The service said hot temperatures and high humidity will make "a dangerous situation in which heat illnesses are likely." 

Central Iowa will see a heat index of 80 degrees late Thursday night. Temperatures are expected to rise into the 105 to 110 degree range Friday afternoon, the service reported. 

The National Weather Service advised people to drink plenty of fluids, stay in air-conditioned rooms, stay out of the sun and check on relatives, neighbors and pets. 

More about

More about

More about

Police Blotter

Monday 06/24/2013
Police blotter 6.23.13
Updated: June 25, 2013 - 3:02 pm

Keaton Sandeman, 22, 203 Campus Ave, Apt 3, was arrested and charged with fifth degree criminal mischief at Hayward Ave. and Lincoln Way. He was subsequently released on citation (reported at 12:45 a.m.).

more »

Learn about student credit cards.

ISU students that want the best online backup services in Ames can check out Stronghold for their superior backup solutions.

ISU students often admire Lasik Omaha doctors that are carving new paths in the field of eye care and transforming the way routine eye procedures are done.