Webp.net-gifmaker (3).gif

Iowa State 125 pounder Alex Mackall throws Oklahoma's Christian Moody in the first match of the meet on Friday. Mackall defeated Moody, 10-4.

Iowa State wrestling lost its third dual of the season on Friday by a score of 22-13 to No. 17 Northern Iowa.

Losing the toss-ups

Redshirt sophomores Alex Mackall and Gannon Gremmel lost their matches on Thursday, and it’s possible that was part of the difference in the dual.

No. 25 Mackall started the dual against No. 26 Jay Schwarm. Schwarm won the low scoring bout by 6-3 decision which started the evening strong for the Panthers.

No. 25 Gremmel ended the dual against Carter Isley needing a pin to help his team tie. After a scoreless regulation, Isley secured a 2-0 win by decision by taking down Gremmel in sudden victory.

These two matches were seen as toss-ups coming in, and with the Cyclones losing by 9 points, it seems that they made a huge difference for Northern Iowa.

Coleman’s woes continue

Wrestling

Redshirt freshman Marcus Coleman takes on an opponent during the Iowa State Last Chance Open on Feb. 17 at Lied Recreation Center.

Redshirt freshman Marcus Coleman lost in his second straight dual on Thursday, and this time, it was by fall.

The 174-pounder was facing No. 8 Taylor Lujan. Coleman and Lujan were neck and neck with Lujan leading going into the third period by a score of 5-4.

In the third period, Lujan was able to flip Coleman and pin him which secured a huge six points for the Panthers.

No. 21 Coleman is coming off a loss two weekends ago against unranked Colt Doyle of Oregon State.

Colbray upsets

Redshirt sophomore Samuel Colbray has been gaining national attention due to a breakout season.

wrestling6.jpg

Iowa State redshirt sophomore Sam Colbray takes on South Dakota State junior Zach Carlson as a part of the 184-pound weight class during the second period of their match at Hilton Coliseum on Feb. 1. Colbray won the match up. The Iowa State wrestling team won 47-0 against South Dakota State.

On Thursday, he bolstered his resume when he took down No. 8 Drew Foster by 8-5 decision in a must-win match.

The Cyclones were down 20-8 with only three bouts left, and Colbray came through for Iowa State.

Ultimately, the result didn’t matter for the team, but for No. 15 Colbray, he adds another tough win to an already strong second year.