IMG_5364.jpg

Redshirt sophomore Ian Parker wrestles freshman Dylan Gregerson during the Iowa State vs Utah Valley dual meet Feb. 3 in Hilton Coliseum. Parker won by fall at 6 minuets and 29 seconds and the Cyclones defeated the Wolverines 53-0.

Iowa State went head-to-head with Oregon State on Monday night and came away with its 10th win of the season.

Parker is taken down

The Cyclones have had a huge turnaround season. After hovering around an even record last season, they have jumped out of the gates this year, sporting a 10-2 dual record and the No. 12 ranking in the nation.

Someone at the forefront of the success has been redshirt sophomore Ian Parker.

Parker up until Monday was enjoying a perfect dual season and was the only remaining undefeated dual wrestler for Iowa State.

On Monday against Grant Willits of the Beavers, the 141-pound Parker lost his first bout of the dual season by 9-4 decision.

Parker remains a force at the top of the Cyclones lineup, but his surprising loss means that there are no remaining unbeaten Cyclones in duals.

wrestling7.jpg

Freshman Logan Schumacher takes on another wrestler during the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open Nov. 3 in Hilton Coliseum. 52 schools competed during this tournament.

Schumacher returns

Redshirt freshman Logan Schumacher reclaimed his starting spot at 165-pounds after sitting out two duals due to an injured leg.

Schumacher looked healthy in his return and secured a 6-4 overtime win by decision.

Zane Mulder had filled in nicely for Schumacher, and Mulder now has some experience under his belt.

Mulder had to allow his redshirt to be lifted to wrestle, and he decided it was a good experience even though he knew that Schumacher was returning.

Gremmel sits out

PHOTOS: Wrestling Media Day

285 pound redshirt sophomore, Ethan Andersen poses at Iowa State Wrestlings media day. 

Redshirt sophomore Gannon Gremmel was just starting to find his stride, but the heavyweight Gremmel did not make the trip to Corvallis, Oregon, for Monday’s dual because he was sick.

Gremmel’s health concerns aren’t serious and he’ll likely be back soon, but in the meantime, redshirt sophomore Ethan Andersen made his first start of the year.

Andersen was a transfer from Oklahoma State and was competing at the start of the season for the starting heavyweight position.

Andersen would go on to lose his match to No. 2 Amar Dhesi by technical fall.